Capacity Development Specialist (internationally recruited)
IDLO IN MYANMAR
IDLO has been working in Myanmar since 2013, to support the country’s government justice institutions, lawyers, civil society representatives and communities to strengthen rule of law and access to justice, enhance gender equality and promote peace and development in line with Sustainable Development Goal 16, as part of the ongoing democratic transition in the country.
Through four Rule of Law Centres (ROLCs) located in Mandalay Region, Yangon Region, Kachin State, and Shan State, IDLO is promoting increased public legal awareness in Myanmar by providing training on a range of rule of law, human rights and access to justice topics, The ROLCs are also contributing to facilitating dialogue between communities and justice service institutions about local justice issues, rights and responsibilities to civil society organizations, lawyers and communities. For more information about the ROLC Project, please visit www.rolcmyanmar.org. IDLO is also implementing a two-year pilot project on sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in Myitkyina and Taunggyi. In addition, IDLO is also implementing a one-year project to develop rules for the newly passed Child Rights Law.
Under the supervision of the Field Program Manager and overall guidance of the Country Manager, the Capacity Development Specialist will support capacity development for all IDLO activities. In particular, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting the team in designing and delivering training and capacity development initiatives inline with project goals and objectives and IDLO’s quality standards.
Working in close collaboration with IDLO Myanmar’s project teams on project design and implementation, and liaising with the Capacity Development Unit at IDLO Headquarters for technical advice, the Capacity Development Specialist will:
1. Lead the design and implementation of capacity development (CD) activities, in accordance with Project design and workplan:
- Oversee the design and delivery of all training programs for IDLO projects, ensuring that content of the training(s) is developed to highlight rule of law principles, human rights standards, an independent and impartial judiciary, legal empowerment, gender equality, and access to justice;
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to the development of new curricula (including modules, session plans and accompanying background material) and to the review/modification of existing curricula as required; support training staff to take on additional responsibilities in this process;
- Provide mentoring and coaching support to staff in the implementation of project activities;
- Based on lessons learned from the implementation of activities and in response to programmatic and country-specific needs, adapt and update existing CD tools and resources, i.e. training curriculum, training modules, training manuals, among others;
- provide feedback and share lessons learnt about tools and methodologies involved;
- Lead the development of innovative capacity building methods, in line with the projects’ needs and support the teams in implementing these methods;
- Facilitate feedback and experience sharing on implemented CD activities, working closely with the training staff and the M&E Advisor;
- Contribute to the review and development of strategies/proposals/concept notes with a view to ensure that effective CD approaches are included;
- Supervise the capacity development team (3 staff members);
2. Contribute to Training Quality Assurance:
- Lead the implementation of pre- and post-training support to project staff and participants of various legal training activities, to promote their capacity and offer tailored and time-bound support; supervise follow up activities to support implementation of new learnings in the work setting;
- Develop and regularly update tools and best practice guidelines to support training quality assurance and consistency in line with IDLO’s standards;
- Support relevant IDLO personnel and external experts in implementing IDLO’s training methodology, including through relevant CD tools made available and training requirements, including mandatory TOT online training;
- Support the development and implementation of the internal staff capacity development plan, including organizing and delivering training sessions on specific topics for staff on a regular basis in accordance with the plan, and support national trainers and training staff to do the same;
- Liaising with the M&E Advisor, support the development, adjustment and implementation of the M&E strategy related to training activities as required;
- Coordinate closely with the M&E Advisor and training staff to ensure effective application of training monitoring and evaluation approaches, including IDLO’s Training Information Management System (TIMS); and
- Ensure punctual and comprehensive documentation of CD initiatives through the production of narrative and statistical reports.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree in law or other relevant field from a recognized university.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience, ideally with an international organization, of which at least three (3) in capacity development.
- Prior experience in developing interactive and participatory training programs and coaching trainers in the justice sector; prior experience in the development and use of other approaches to and modalities for capacity development.
- Professional experience in justice sector reform, rule of law and SGBV programming is required.
- Previous experience working in Myanmar is an asset.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills in English is required.
Specific knowledge, skills and behavioral competencies
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills as well as planning and organization skills;
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work with teams and perform well under high pressure and according to time sensitive schedules;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the Organization;
- Enthusiastic and proactive attitude in building partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders and driving results, including at the senior level;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives; and
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an affiliate contract initially for 12 months, with the possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall offer the suitable candidate annual basic salary of USD 66,000.- and an additional benefit package, including medical, mission insurance and provident fund in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.