Protection Officer-Male Engagement GBV
Mrauk Oo (Myanmar)
Duty Station : Mrauk Oo Office, Rakhine State
Report to : Protection Team Leader-GBV
Overall purpose of the role:
The Protection Officer-Male Engagement GBV will lead all activities to engage men as allies in women’s protection. He will assist in developing violence prevention and wellbeing materials for men, facilitating male group psychoeducational sessions, and assist in day-to-day operations. The Protection Officer-Male Engagement GBV will form a cohort of male beneficiaries who will discuss topics related to gender equality, positive masculinity coping strategies and healthy families.
GBV PREVENTION AND MALE ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITY LEADERSHIP:
- Lead the formation of male groups and the roll out of the recreational activities and the psychoeducational curriculum
- Organize awareness events with men such as debates, dramas, sport events about gender equality or gender-based violence
- Facilitate Intimate Partner Violence trainings for the Village Leaders where appropriate
- Train male Outreach Workers to deliver quality sessions for men’s group
- Co facilitate (with the male assistant) weekly sensitization sessions about wellbeing, healthy relationships and gender equality according to the psychoeducational curriculum in accessible villages and Mrauk U downtown
- Support the prevention team in facilitating awareness raising, focus group discussions and other community engagement activities for men
- Identify strategies/activities to promote social cohesion and integration throughout program activities and Women and Girls Centers (WGC). Liaise with government officials, religious leaders and Village Leaders to facilitate buy in on Women’s Centers among men
- Consolidate information on existing services and create service mapping material to be shared with other DRC department and other stakeholders
GBV AWARENESS ACTIVITY ROLL OUT
- Lead the roll out of awareness raising campaigns, focus group discussions (FGD) and other community engagement activities among male audiences.
- Oversee the planning and roll out of awareness activities to commemorate days such as: Women’s Day, International Youth Day and 16 Days of Activism
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
- Compile and edit weekly reports submitted by GBV Male Engagement Assistant and Male ORWs and submit them to the GBV Team Leader
- Draft monthly reports about all GBV prevention activities which include thorough analysis of progress against indicators and qualitative information about progress and challenges
- Complete the indicator tracker for all Gender Based Violence prevention activities on a monthly basis
- Oversee the Monitoring and Evaluation of activities conducted with male beneficiaries.
- Draft quarterly reports to be submitted to the donor
- Fill and submit Purchase Requisitions, Travel Authorizations and any other DRC administrative forms as needed
- Oversee the documentation to process the payment of Male Outreach Workers and Male Advocates incentive
- Coordinate with other DRC departments to ensure the effective use of the logistical and financial resources
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2-3 years of practical experience in sector area working for an NGO or association
- Demonstrated experience in working on women protection such as empowerment programs, reproductive health, counselling etc.
- Commitment to achieve gender equality and end all forms of Gender Based Violence
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prepared to work with both Rakhine Buddhist and Muslim communities.
- Relevant university degree (e.g. Nursing, social work, political science) or equivalent professional qualification
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in Burmese and English. Additional local languages would be an asset
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. "
- Understanding of operational context in Rakhine State.
- Starting date of employment: (December-2019).
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar Nationals only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment.
Applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements should apply by submitting their applications in English (consisting of Cover Letter and CV of no more than 4 pages, including contact details of 3 professional references).
Deadline for submission of applications: 16-Dec -2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for a face to face interview and a written test in English.