Area Maintenance Engineer
Infrastructure & Camp Improvement Programme
Area Maintenance Engineer
Deadline for Applications
22 December 2019
Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years
Vacancy Announcement Number
Duty Station & Department
Central Lebanon Area – •Infrastructure & Camp Improvement Programme
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women and welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA's human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency's operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 3000 staff in the Lebanon Field Office working to foster the human development of registered Palestine refugees.••
The main responsibilities include:
• Coordinates and supervises the maintenance programme in the Area and reports on progress.
• Conducts comprehensive technical surveys of all Agency buildings, installations and infrastructure at least annually to determine maintenance requirements, priorities and quantities for maintenance contracts.
• Conducts periodic routine inspections of all Agency buildings, installations and infrastructure and takes necessary action in the case of essential maintenance requirements.
• Carries out contract administration duties as directed, including the preparation of bills of quantities, cost estimates for quantities and materials, specifications, interim and final payment certificates, etc.
• Responsible in coordination with the Field Maintenance Engineer for expenditure and cost control on all maintenance contracts in the Area.
• Provides technical support and supervision as necessary and as directed to other Agency programmes, including the maintenance and construction of roads and camp infrastructure, the repair and reconstruction of refugees shelters, self-help projects, etc.
• Prepares work plans and periodic progress reports for maintenance and other engineering works.
• Provides technical advice and support both in relation to applications by residents for construction permits and their implementation.
• Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Conditions of service•
Option One: Fixed Term Appointment, Grade 12
Monthly basic salary L.L 1,937,300
Other benefits include monthly Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency), compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
To qualify for this position, you will need:
University degree in Civil (or Structural) Engineering degree from a University or College recognised by UNRWA.
Four years relevant experience in field and office work.
Good knowledge of English and Arabic.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Manage maintenance services with high problem solving skills.
• Communication and negotiation skills,
• Team collaborative
• Ability to work under pressure
• Technological and technical awareness
• Possession of a valid driving license.
• Experience in site supervision
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
Recruitment in UNRWA Lebanon – How it works:
Who we are
For over 70 years, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) has been working on the ground in five fields of operations in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip providing direct assistance and protection for some 5 million Palestine refugees in the Middle East. UNRWA is mandated by the UN General Assembly to provide this assistance and its mission is to help Palestine refugees achieve their full potential in human development until there is a just and lasting solution for their plight. UNRWA restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who have been uprooted by conflict with services encompassing education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance.
For more details on UNRWA, please visit: www.unrwa.org
How to apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. it is the responsibility of the candidates (internal and external) to make sure that their Personal History Form is duly completed with the needed information before they apply as amendments to the Form will not be accepted after the deadline of the vacancy announcement Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or/and interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post. Only candidates residing in Lebanon with authorization to work in that duty station at the time of application are eligible to apply. The Agency will not assume responsibility or accountability to support or facilitate the issuance of work permit in the duty station, and without a valid work permit, the appointment may be rescinded".
During and after the completion of the recruitment process, candidate's request for review will be considered and looked into within 48 hours from the formal notification by UNRWA, request received after that will be ignored.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description
Date of issue: 02 December 2019