Construction Supervision Consultant - Liberia
Introduction and background
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and homelessness worldwide and to making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action. Since the founding in 1976, Habitat for Humanity has helped more than 29 million people meet their affordable housing needs in more than 70 countries.
The Liberia Country Program (2016 – 2021), led by Cities Alliance, is a five-year program that aims to create a platform to support the sustainable and inclusive urban development of greater Monrovia. The program builds on the foundation of community engagement, partnerships and institutional capacity building. Habitat for Humanity International is a key partner in the Liberia Country Program (LCP), primarily supporting slum upgrading efforts. One of the biggest challenges that slum communities in Monrovia face is access to clean water and sanitation. Only 21 percent of urban households have access to improved toilets, and while 82 percent of Liberian urban households have access to drinking water, there are major problems with water contamination in slum settlements due to high rainfall, poor drainage and lack of sanitation facilities. In addition, there is a barely operational sewerage network, which serves only 5% of the population in Greater Monrovia. To address these challenges, Habitat for Humanity’s community level interventions seek to increase access to clean water, adequate sanitation and hygiene as well as solid waste management. This position will be supporting construction supervision of WASH facilities; these will include construction of 12-Seater toilet with DEWATS biogas system, borehole drilling, Installation of water tanks and associated piping network and other community level interventions including the construction supervision of a community hall.
Scope of the Assignment
The consultant/company will be expected to carry out the following key tasks:
A. Support structural design and development of BOQs
· Preparation and review of design briefs, concept, designs, cost estimates, and schedules
· Undertake physical site assessments to support design of the community hall
· Support in the production of detailed Architectural Design Package where necessary
· Support the review of designs, in coordination with HFH and NHA project teams.
· Review of unit cost of construction materials from providers
· Recommend approaches, designs and responses to the resolution of comments; either by design alteration and modification necessary to achieve a functional facility within the context of geographical needs, budget, and expectations.
· Facilitate design reviews, requests for clarification, document revisions.
· Facilitate design coordination and contract document preparation through meeting coordination
· Preparing BOQs for final designs
B. Supervision and monitoring of construction works
· Daily monitoring of construction activities in accordance to the specifications and designs, cost, and schedule to ensure progress follows the work plan
· Prepare method statements of construction activities to the contractor
· Carry out site inspections and assessments as required; prepare reports for submission to CoP and Project teams
· Act proactively to identify key areas of concerns that relates to quality, health, safety and environmental issues at site and where necessary take the necessary resolution in consultation with Supervisor(s) and project teams.
· Weekly updating of the approved construction schedule and reporting to the NHA Project Engineer and CoP.
· Work closely with other engineers and architects, in the planning, scheduling of tasks and execution of the works
· Assist the NHA Project Engineer with monitoring the work of the contractors
· Report all errors, omissions, discrepancies and deficiencies to supervisor.
· Provide support and guidance to the contractors and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
· Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
· Consult with project end users to make sure they understand the scope of work and expected time line with advice from CoP and project team.
· Coordinate handover process to clients
C. Project management and administration support
· Prepare bid packages for request for proposals (RFPs)
· Coordinate compliance related processes and approvals, including environmental and social impact assessments as well as government level approvals.
· Overseeing contract documentation preparation and quality.
· Establish solid working relationships with the project partners, beneficiaries, design teams, and construction contractors.
· Manage communications ensuring stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress and exceptions
- Identify issues and risks that may impact the achievement of project outcomes and raise them to the CoP in a timely manager so that mitigation measures can be identified.
- Actively support the CoP with the supply of data and information including, but not limited to, reports, project completion report or any related closure documents.
- Validate Weekly Reports
- Validate routine invoices
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor(s).
· Weekly report to CoP and HHS Director
· Completed time sheet weekly with clearly stated activities undertaken within the period.
· Design documentation package
· BID documentation for the different project components
· Completed and sign off pre-handover report checklist
The consultant will be engaged for a period of 12 months.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Party (CoP) and the Director of Housing and Human Settlements (HHS) , the Construction Supervision Consultant will work closely with the technical and project support teams to provide the necessary technical expertise to assigned project activities and ensure efficient and effective planning, design, supervision and monitoring of construction activities associated with the overall project.
Minimum required competencies of consultant(s)
· Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Technical Diploma in Civil or Construction Engineering, Electrical or related field required. Applicants with a relevant Vocational Certificate with additional 2 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
· Working knowledge of MS Office applications and AutoCAD drafting software is required; working knowledge of Autodesk Revit software is a plus.
· Fluency in both written and oral English is required.
· Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the works, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities
· Ability to plan technical solutions.
· Ability to translate engineering drawings into physical implementation.
· Organized, attention to detail, able to prioritize construction activities.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse teams.
Submission of Proposals
HFHI EMEA invites interested, qualified consultants that meet the above stated requirements to submit the following:
A brief technical proposal and CV
2 contactable references for similar work done in the past;
A cover letter explaining briefly why you are a suitable candidate for the assignment.
Submissions should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For enquiries email: email@example.com
Deadline for receiving applications: end of business 13th December 2019.