Communications Officer (NOB)
Communications Officer (NOB)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
This post is open to Liberian Nationality only
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP’s work in Liberia aims to provide safety nets to strengthen food and nutrition security through school feeding and social protection measures. It also assists in strengthening Liberia’s capacity to own and implement hunger solutions. Primarily, the work has been focused on the following areas: Supporting recovery efforts after Ebola, Support to education, Livelihood Asset and Market Promotion (LAMP), Support to refugees, Nutrition support to HIV/TB patients. Importantly, The WFP Executive Board in 2016 approved the integrated roadmap (including the strategic plan 2017-2021) for a complete change for improved programming. In line with this objective, the Liberia Country Office (CO) embarked on a new country strategic planning process for the re-alignment of activities, outputs, outcomes and financial resources to enable the Office achieve better results and impact. As a result, WFP’s Executive Board approved the Country Strategic Plan for Liberia (2019-2023) defining WFP’s contribution to the Government of Liberia’s efforts to achieve Agenda 2030.
Content production and Social Media
- Support the CO in producing or outsourcing the production of compelling content including, text, photos, graphics, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms and media, to support advocacy, brand building, as well as illustrate and demonstrate impact of WFP’s work for fund-raising activities;
- Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilizing platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
- Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports, Executive Board briefs, Country Briefs, Annual Country Reports and other such corporate reporting exercises in collaboration with operations teams (Programme, Supply Chain, M&E, Security, Protection).
- Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies;
- Ensure that responses to direct or indirect requests for information about the work of WFP CO provide understanding of its objectives, policies and activities;
- Manage relations with the media – draft, edit texts for news releases, feature articles, briefing notes, backgrounders, Questions & Answers (Q&A), arrange interviews; and provide content.
- Support the design and implementation of a communication and advocacy strategy that analyses the situation, identifies advocacy issues, set goals and objectives; analyze policy and power, identify targets and influencers, develop an action plan, resourcing and implementation of the plan;
- Seize opportunities for WFP’s thought leadership on food security and nutrition with tactics and messaging to impact appropriate audiences;
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
Communication with communities
- Support WFP’s engagement with the communities, national and local authorities, cooperating partners and UN agencies to build brand awareness; and promote community engagement to ensure that communities and authorities understand WFP’s mission and programmes;
- Support operations teams (Programme, Supply Chain, M&E, Security, Protection) in the compiling of mapping information needs and gaps, enabling community engagement to ensure the effectiveness of communications where WFP operates and people it serves.
- Build relations with community-based media (especially community radio stations).
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
- Media and Influencer Relationship Management: Demonstrates ability to build and sustain effective collaborative relationships with key media contacts and influencers in area of expertise to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.
- Media and Communication Expertise: Facilitates open verbal or written communication with media and influencers as required (i.e. through preparation of tailored written or visual materials presentations, and official documentation) to convey tailored messages. Engages in mutually informative discussion with media and influencers.
- Specialised Knowledge in Communications: Uses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media. Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy.
- Socio-political Contextual Understanding: Demonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.
- Communication Strategy and Planning: Applies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility. Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and the duty station’s language, if different.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Demonstrable professional work experience in communications, reporting, information and knowledge management, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility.
- Demonstrable portfolio of work representing verbal, written and/or visual communications skills.
- Demonstrable experience utilizing computers, including Microsoft Office package (e.g. Word, Excel) and other standard software packages and systems, including social media.
- Has experience gathering content, including photo, video, interviews and stories.
- Has experience using a wide range of social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, etc.) for the achievement of a clear objective;
- Has experience in building and sustaining effective collaborative relationships with key media contacts and influencers in area of expertise.
- Experience in utilizing specialist communications techniques to enhance functional outputs, which may include photography, shooting video, conducting interviews with a wide variety of stakeholders, gathering content in field locations, writing stories, and producing content adapted to social media is an asset.
- Experience using desktop publishing tools such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Publisher is desirable.
- Experience producing and editing content using photographer and videography tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Premier is desirable.
VA Closing Date : 17 December 2019
Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to an inclusive working environment which values diversity
and has zero tolerance for discrimination, harassment and abuse of any kind.