Finance Coordinator - EU4Moldova:Focal Regions Programme
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
1. To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
2. To improve citizens' access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
3. To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
4. To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of programme objectives through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of activities. The Finance Coordinator applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Coordinator works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Finance Coordinator in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, will ensure the provision of financial and administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country office, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Supervise other support staff (Programme Assistant, Drivers) and coordinate short-term consultants;
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination of administrative matters;
- Monitor compliance with both UNDP and EU standards and ensure quality control of programme filing systems and files;
- Provide advice to the team on financial and administrative issues.
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Upon request, prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UNDP and EU standard templates;
- Prepare other recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget/financial preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the UNDP and EU Delegation with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks as required.
- In accordance with the Work Plans, coordinate and contribute to the procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Support the preparation of procurement plans for the projects and monitoring of their implementation
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme objectives. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Adheres to the core values of the United Nations; in particular, is respectful of differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Understands the main processes and methods of work related to the position (procurement and administrative management).
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the procurement and contract management and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Strong inter-personal skills; including the ability to effectively communicate with persons from a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to achieve results and deadlines in a timely manner, maintaining a high standard throughout.
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in economics, finance, public administration or other related fields. Specialized training in procurement is desirable.
- At least seven years of relevant experience, preferably with specialization in procurement, supply chain management or purchasing.
- At least five years of previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, implementation of international projects, involving large scale procurement processes, consulting company, or NGO is compulsory.
- Experience in similar positions in a UNDP and/or EU-funded project is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian, English and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.