Project Officer: Public Services Improvement - EU4Moldova:Focal regions Programme
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
1. To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
2. To improve citizens' access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
3. To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
4. To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Local Development Manager, the Public Services Improvement Officer ensures the effective and efficient implementation of local public service improvement at local level activities within the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Public Services Improvement Officer works in close collaboration with the Programme Manager and other Project Officers for effective achievement of results, including from UNICEF anticipating and resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
1. Support to EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme on local public service improvement issues, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advise and assist targeted local public authorities from Cahul and Ungheni to develop and implement capacity building plans in the area of local public service improvement, through participatory community involvement processes.
- Promote a participatory, human rights and gender sensitive approach to service provision at local level in close coordination with other local and national partners.
- Support the implementation of jointly-selected service improvement initiatives, with active participation of community members (using inter-municipal cooperation, PPPs and other tools) and through expansion of the services currently rendered in the urban centers towards the neighboring communities
- Support the Local Development Manager and the UNDP CO in general project development, implementation and project-related strategic processes.
2. Ensure provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assess the country's development policies and their impact on EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme activities.
- Provide policy options and high-quality advisory inputs to the project from local development perspective to ensure these are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP's corporate goals.
- Provide training and capacity building support for EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme and partners on local public service improvement.
- Make sound contributions to local development-related knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Provide solid inputs to project’s analytical products, work plans and progress reports, etc.
- Identify and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt from the field.
- Conduct analytical work (e.g. institutional and risk analyses, capacity assessment, policy reviews) community development highlighting UNDP support and strategy. Play an active role in policy advice, strategic thinking, knowledge sharing.
3. Ensure creation of strategic partnerships, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Liaise, synergy and coordination with project partners on common service provision issues
- Prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation with development partners, contribute to the resource mobilization efforts.
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Participate in national and international fora, making substantive contributions as appropriate.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Programme Steering Committee and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Local Public Administration, Economics, Public Finances, Public Law or other relevant fields. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of professional experience is required at the national or international level in the field of policy development, with substantial recent work experience local development projects with focus on services provision.
- Practical experience in inter-municipal cooperation, initiation and implementation.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.