Project Officer (Education)
Post Number : 5JOED0017PA
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Amman
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the UNESCO Assistant Director-General for Education, the guidance of the Head of the UNESCO Amman Office and the direct supervision of the Education Programme Specialist, the Project Officer will be primarily responsible for the timely and efficient management and implementation of the “System Strengthening Partnership with Jordan’s Ministry of Education” program generously funded by the Government of Canada (and expected additional donors in future). The 3-year program aims to support the Ministry of Education (MoE) to strengthen data collection, utilization, and analysis, including through enhancement and greater use of the MoE’s Education Management Information System (EMIS) and WebGIS; monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER); and evidence-based planning and policy-making.
More specifically, the Project Officer will be responsible for project management, technical support and leadership including for institutional system strengthening and capacity development within the MoE, donor relations, partnerships and coordination, and supervision and teamwork related to this program as outlined below.
In particular, the incumbent will:Long Description
1. Project management
- Develop up-to-date strategic & operational plan for program implementation.
- Oversee aspects of program management (financial, procurement, contract & administrative planning, implementation, M&E, reporting) in line with UNESCO procedures & requirements.
- Ensure technical and operational quality assurance of all project deliverables.
- Work closely with MoE staff, UNESCO team, technical specialists, contractors & consultants to ensure quality and timely delivery of program activities, narrative and financial reports, and achievement of performance targets.
- Identify opportunities and challenges during implementation and recommend relevant actions to ensure program objectives are met or surpassed.
2. Technical support and leadership –institutional system strengthening and capacity development
- Lead on the System Strengthening portfolio, which is aligned with UNESCO’s main programme (ER 1: Improved national education policies and plans to advance access to equitable and quality ECCE, primary and secondary education through a system-wide lifelong learning approach).
- Support and contribute to efforts to support Jordan in the implementation of its national Education Strategic Plan 2018-2022 in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, particularly SDG 4, including providing technical support in the areas of data collection, utilization, and analysis; monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER); and evidence-based planning and policy-making.
- Establish effective communication channels and networks with government counterparts and other relevant national institutions.
- Establish good communication channels/networks and ensure coordination of UNESCO Amman’s work within UNESCO (HQ, Regional Office, relevant UNESCO institutes, Jordan National Commission for Education, Culture and Science, etc.) to mobilize technical support and incorporate international best practices into the program.
3. Donor relations
- Ensure effective and timely communication and coordination with donors on major program developments, including through the Steering Committee for the program.
- Ensure program and donor visibility and public recognition by carrying out regular communication activities.
- Prepare the required donor progress and final reports (narrative and financial).
- Provide support to identify further needs and mobilize additional resources.
4. Partnerships and Coordination
- Maintain a strong and constructive working relationship with partner ministries.
- Provide support in coordinating and taking part in the related meetings.
- Participate in joint UN programming activities related to education, specifically the UN Sustainable Development Framework “Strengthened Institutions” Results Group and the Education Sector Working Group in an effort to coordinate and advance programmatic work and ensure visibility for the Organization.
5. Supervision and Teamwork
- Directly supervise the National Project Officer(s), Project Assistant(s), interns and volunteers (performance and administrative management) responsible for the System Strengthening portfolio.
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of regular program activities related to the System Strengthening portfolio.
- Oversee the work of contracted personnel and consultants engaged in the delivery of the System Strengthening portfolio.
- Provide support to and perform other tasks as assigned by the UNESCO Education Programme Specialist.
- Advanced University degree (Master or equivalent) in education, international development, statistics, economics, social sciences or related field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in the field of education, with particular focus on educational planning, education statistics, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, Education Management Information Systems (EMIS) and/or institutional system strengthening, capacity development and change management.
- Relevant experience in project management, including financial, procurement, contracts and results-based management.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Previous experience working within the UN system including familiarity with its administrative and procurement systems and processes.
- Relevant experience in working in the field of education at the international level.
- Experience with national Education Management Information Systems (EMIS) or related educational databases.
- Proficiency in Arabic.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.