National Consultants to Deliver Professional Translation, Editing and Interpretation Services – Multiple Posts
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society to advance gender equality through the implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. The work of UN Women Ukraine is guided by the following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of the women, peace and security agenda; and gender responsive governance. UN Women collaborates closely with the UN Country Team to integrate women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of the UN’s work in Ukraine.
UN Women Ukraine Country Office conducts various events, workshops, conferences, and meetings as part of its programmatic intervention including development of technical documents, tools and communication material that require translation into Ukrainian/English. Audiences include international participants, implementing partners, the media and communities. To meet such needs, UN Women Ukraine is interested to contract several professional translators/editors and interpreters to provide UN Women with high quality translation and interpretation services (Ukrainian/English languages) when needed and requested by UN Women. National Consultant(-s) should be available to visit the high-level governmental meetings to provide consecutive translation there.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Representative, and in close collaboration with UN Women programme and operations team, the consultant will provide:
- Produce high-quality translation of documents from English to Ukrainian and / or vice versa.
- Translating, editing and proofreading full content, footnotes and / or endnotes, captions under photographs, tables, etc.
- Ensure content accuracy and detailed comparison of content, facts and figures, making sure there are no discrepancies in the meaning of the source manuscript;
- Ensure Ukrainian and English language excellence and proofreading, including excellent language, technical vocabulary, syntax, expression and grammar, as well as use of formal gender sensitive terminology, which should be consistent with existing UN Women terminology;
- Ensure confidentiality of the original texts and translated materials. The translation submitted to UN Women under each assignment is the property of UN Women and cannot be submitted, distributed or used by any other party, unless formally authorized by UN Women.
- The translator is obligated to work within the required deadlines and be available to UN Women for comments and corrections.
- Work in close collaboration with UN Women Task Manager and ensure the translation services are up to expectations and professional standards.
- Ensure quality check of translation; ensuring that no errors are left in the final texts;
- Ensure final drafts are submitted ahead of time and revised as needed to meet UN Women expectations.
Editing and proofreading:
- Provide high-quality substantive editing and proofreading of documents, both Ukrainian and English.
- Conduct holistic substantive review of the manuscripts to correct grammar, check spelling, punctuation and delete redundancies, fix problem sentences, and sharpen vocabulary, which should be consistent with existing UN Women terminology.
- Improve the overall clarity and organization of the text through re-arranging sentences and paragraphs, if needed, replacing inappropriate words and polishing the whole text.
- Provide on-site oral translation services from English to Ukrainian/Russian and/ or vice versa for UN Women workshops, events, trainings etc.
- Provide interpretation services (consecutive and simultaneous) during the high-level governmental meetings.
Monthly timesheets stating the title of the document being translated/edited or a meeting attended for interpretation are submitted
Monthly, by 5th of next month; not to exceed 22 working days per month
*All reports should be submitted in English language and include the full set of supporting documents. The supporting documents can be submitted in Ukrainian.
- UN Women will provide the Consultant with background materials related to the assignment.
- The consultant is expected to work remotely using her/his own computer but can also be placed in UN Women office, if necessary.
- Contractor’s performance will be evaluated against such criteria as: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered. The evaluation will be carried out and cleared by the task managers which will also be the basis for payment to the consultant.
UN Women will establish several individual contracts with several translators for the above-mentioned services. At the time when services are required, UN Women will do an internal review of established contracts and request the service from the available consultant offering the lowest financial offer. There is no guarantee that UN Women will pay the full amount of contract during the contract period, UN Women will process payments against services received and assessed as fully satisfactory.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in linguistics, literature, Journalism and media, philology or other relevant field;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in provision of professional translation, interpretation and editing services;
- Previous expertise in translating, interpreting and editing gender, governance, human rights, poverty reduction, rule of law and development related documents/ events etc.;
- Experience in working with International Organizations, Human Rights Organizations, Research Institutions for at least 2 years.
Languages and other skills:
Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian
Evaluation of Applicants:
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of their qualifications and financial proposal. A two-stage procedure is utilised in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. The award of the contract should be made to the individuals whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Short listed candidates will be requested to translate a sample manuscript for assessment purposes.
Technical criteria – 70% of total evaluation. Total max 70 points:
- The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 70. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on desk review and following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Maximum obtainable Points
Criterion A – Relevant education
Criterion B – Language skills
Professional Ukrainian, English and Russian
Criterion C – Relevant Experience with total for all of the following criteria
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Total Obtainable Score
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation will be further considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the financial/price component is 30.
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 50 points in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
- Evaluation of submitted financial offers will be done based on the following formula: S = Fmin / F * 30
- (S - score received on financial evaluation; F min - the lowest financial offer out of all the submitted offers qualified over the technical evaluation round; F - financial offer under the consideration).
Application and submission package:
All applications must include as one PDF attachment:
- Completed and signed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558.
- Financial proposal (sample is provided below): The financial proposal shall specify a daily professional rate per interpretation services, an hourly rate for the interpretation services, a rate for translation and editing services per 1000 signs.
Interested candidates are requested to apply no later than 16 December 2019, by submitting applications through the UNDP system or by sending it to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject “National Consultant for Professional Translation, Editing and Interpretation Services ”.
Applications without P11 and financial proposal may be treated as incomplete and may not be considered for further assessment.
Sample of Financial Proposal
The format shown on the following tables is suggested for use as a guide in preparing the Financial Proposal
- Cost Breakdown per Deliverables*
Unit cost, UAH
(Lump Sum, All Inclusive)
max. # of working days (100%)
*Basis for payment tranches
UN Women applies fair and transparent selection process that would take into account the competencies/skills of the applicants as well as their financial proposals.