Project manager for Rural Women Empowerment
As a result of the on-going crisis in Syria, number of women headed families have increased, particularly in rural areas. Those women are facing many challenges in terms of access to market, information, technology, credit, production inputs, etc.
FAO in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture and Agrarian Reform (Rural Women Empowerment Department RWED) have agreed on the strategic importance of empowering rural women both from social and economic point of view. This will help them increase their contribution to the agriculture production, improve their and their families’ livelihoods, and contribute to food and nutrition security, particularly under the challenging conditions in Syria (crisis, climate change impact, etc.).
FAO Syria has started implementing some activities to empower women (including training), to provide agricultural inputs, establish village-based food processing units and facilitate their access to market. However, with the increasing demand to scale up the intervention and lack of appropriate data to support the design of interventions, there is an urgent need to improve the coordination of these activities and to scale up.
Consequently, FAO-Syria is seeking the service of a project manager with understanding of rural women’s empowerment issues, and with good knowledge on gender, social science, business management, etc. Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Syria, the project manager - and in close cooperation with RWED at the Ministry of Agriculture (MAAR) and related institutions - will perform the following duties:
· Provide leadership and support for the design of interventions related to women empowerment;
· Coordinate closely with RWED and other related institutions for the design and following up of the rural women empowerment interventions;
· Plan and coordinate with technical colleagues the design and efficient implementation of rural women related activities
· Notify the programme management of non-resolvable issues and submit recommendations to resolve them
· Monitor closely the implementation of the interventions to ensure the compliance with the work plan, and the impact of the implemented interventions in coordination with the M&E unit.
· Produce reports on activities, as needed
· Keep track of contract (LOA) implementation in coordination with the responsible technical colleagues.
· Follow up closely with the project consultants contracted for the implementation of some of the interventions.
· Ensure adequate communication of the achieved results to partners and local communities.
· Perform any other duties requested by the FAOR.
key performance indicators
· Build effective relationship with government counterparts, partners and beneficiaries.
· Achievement of all the planned results as described in the project work plan
· Timely provide needed inputs for the reporting of the project implementation
Masters degree in Agriculture Sciences or related field of study relevant to rural women’s empowerment.
Technical Competencies and Experience Requirements:
· minimum of 5 years of experience in agriculture-related fields,
· good knowledge on gender, social science and women empowerment
· Working experience with Government ministries, UN Agencies, and/or Civil Society Organizations
· working knowledge of English (excellent writing and oral skills)
· Excellent knowledge in computer (word, excel, PowerPoint)
· Organization capacity and ability to work under pressure and perform multitasks
· Excellent time management
· Language skills: fluent in English and working knowledge in a second UN language
Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English directly to :
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the email subject.
Only national Syrian CVs will be considered for shortlisting