Administrative Specialist (Insurances)
Background Information - IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
The Administrative Specialist will work under the supervision and overall guidance of the IPAS Admin Advisor.
1. Contract management of the UNOPS insurance program
- Reviews the validity of the policies and the performance of the insurance broker and underwriters and reviews existing and new insurance requirements to assess existing coverage and potential gaps.
- Defines the procurement strategy and manages the procurement process in collaboration with IPAS Procurement for UNOPS insurance policies and in consultation with relevant stakeholders for both corporate and personnel related insurances.
- Manages claims on insurances, in particular service incurred and death and disability insurances, including reporting and processing of claims.
- Participates in, and drives interagency coordination activities and knowledge sharing related to insurance.
- Liaises with relevant UN bodies, such as the United Nations Risk Management Unit on Insurances and the United Nations bodies relevant to staff.
- Provides regular reporting and analysis of insurance coverage and risks, claims processing, and claims recovery. Identify proposed areas of improvement for insurance.
- Coordinate the corporate, cross functional reflection on UNOPS operational risk.
2. Support to Implementation
- Provides back-stopping support and advice to the relevant HQ units and UNOPS country offices and projects on questions related to the subject insurance.
- Works closely with other IPAS teams and policy owners to provide integrated and comprehensive advice on all processes related to insurance management in UNOPS.
- Responsible for the insurance help desk function providing day-to-day advice and support function for all personnel with regards to their personnel insurance coverage.
- Prepares reports and communications materials regarding insurance matters.
3. Policy and Process Articulation
- Maintains policy, procedures and tools for insurance and claims processing. Advise on application of policy and procedures.
- Contributes to the development and update of policies and processes related to the Admin IPAS work streams, ensures close collaboration with relevant policy owners or stakeholders.
- Contributes to policy management reviews, with a focus on simplification, innovation and identify efficiency gains.
4. Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Contributes to initiatives for documenting and communicating on best practices and lessons learned, and supports actively the operationalization of the Knowledge Management Strategy of UNOPS.
- Facilitates insurance-related learning and knowledge exchange activities and trainings.
- Contributes to the preparation of reports, presentations, and other materials as needed.
- A completed, advanced degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Economics or any other relevant area is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration management and operational functions.
- Within these 5 years, at least one year of experience working with insurance policies, placement of same and dealing with associated claims is required.
- Experience in communicating and advising across a range of audiences is required.
- Experience with administration or management from a UN entity or similar is desirable.
- Experience with internal client management and service provision is required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be a strong asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: I-ICA 2
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.