Support Services Senior Assistant
Background Information - PSC
Peace and Security ClusterThe UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. It is led by the Director, who has overall authority and accountability for the performance PSC on behalf of its clients. The Director is responsible for administering and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – Sudan:
The UNMAS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with Government of Sudan and international partners to meet its mine clearance obligations under the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention (Ottawa Treaty) with the aim of reducing the risk that explosive threats could pose to the civilian population. UNMAS Sudan’s main activities include land release, mine risk education (MRE) and victim assistance (VA) in South Kordofan, Blue Nile and Darfur states of Sudan. UNMAS also provides technical advice and training for Sudan National Mine Action Center (NMAC) and national mine action NGOs for improving national mine action capacity.
Under the direct supervision of the Support Services Associate (SSA), the Support Services Assistant is responsible for the transparent and efficient provision of support services to UNMAS Sudan, including administration, travel, HR, finance and procurement.
The functional responsibilities include:
Administration and Travel
- Assist in the organization of meetings, conferences, visits, workshops, etc.
- Assist with the coordination of travel (processing of travel authorizations, booking airline tickets and making of hotel reservations) and register each activity on the Travel Register in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP);
- Prepare documentation for security clearance, process hotel reservations, organize airport pickups, hospitality, protocol, customs and immigration support for visiting UN/UNDP officials as necessary;
- Act as a custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Assist in managing office provision of cleaning and maintenance and repair services.
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices;
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives to attain business objectives in line with corporate HR strategy;
- Work closely with supervisors and support with monitoring of leave, entitlements, managing Identity Cards, induction and separations, and other HR related issues.
Finance and Procurement Support
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Assist in in providing updates to the office’s procurement business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management;
- Assist in drafting bidding documents, evaluation reports and contract award submissions, ensuring consistency in format and content;
- Process invoices for goods and services delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment. Follow up to completion and inform clients;
- Prepare purchase orders (PO) and contracts in and outside OneUNOPS system;
- Contribute to maintenance of the filing system in the procurement unit;
- Provide implementation of the internal control system which ensures that purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched, including timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Prepare reports, tables, charts, applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting and presentations;
- Create supplier profiles in oneUNOPS and maintain the UNMAS Sudan supplier data base for region;
- Undertake routine follow up action on procurement on behalf of the supervisor;
- Process invoices for goods and services delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment; follow up to completion and inform clients.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor/
- First-Level University Degree (Bachelor degree or equivalent) with a minimum of one (1) year experience in either Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Administration/Support Services or Logistics is required;OR
- High School Diploma (Secondary school or equivalent) with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in either Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Administration/Support Services or Logistics is required.
- Technical/Professional Diploma with three (3) years of relevant experience in either Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Administration/Support Services or Logistics is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Logistics or Administration.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience in handling web-based management systems is required.
- One (1) year of experience in procurement is required.
- Knowledge of the Sudan public sector is desired.
- Fluency in English (speaking, writing and reading) is required.
- Fluency in Arabic (speaking, writing and reading) is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- This vacancy is open to nationals and candidates with permission to work in Sudan
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.