Deputy Regional Representative ASIA
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
In Asia, Norwegian Red Cross aims to relieve the suffering and save the lives of people affected by armed conflict, protracted crisis and acute disasters. We work through a combination of channels, considering collaboration with Red Cross Movement actors to respond, both in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, to any given crisis.
We target the most vulnerable in each context, based on holistic humanitarian needs analysis, whilst assuming an auxiliary role supporting National Red Cross/Crescent Societies in the region.
In Asia, Norwegian Red Cross focuses on improved access to community health, providing basic health service to the most vulnerable communities affected by conflict and protracted crisis in Afghanistan, Pakistan, DPRK, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
We aim to strengthen the regional disaster response systems and improve the preparedness capacity of partner National Societies.
The purpose of the Deputy Regional Representative is to oversee results-based management of programmes in the region, manage Norwegian Red Cross contribution to Red Cross Movement’s regional preparedness and response systems, and deputize for the Regional Representative.
The successful candidate will be leading the programmes of the Norwegian Red Cross Asia Region and will support the development and results-based management in the Asia country programs. The person will furthermore be responsible for alignment of regional programmes with our international strategy and will develop and foster strategic collaborations within the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) movement and with host governments and other key stakeholders. The ideal candidate has extensive experience in management of humanitarian programmes as the job entails monitoring natural disasters, reviewing IFRC emergency appeals, propose actions and carry out assessments as per need. The incumbent will also be responsible for the professional development of the Country managers and technical delegates through hands-on coaching and support.
We seek a person who;
- is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
- communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- builds a useful network of contacts and relationship and utilizes it to achieve objectives
- provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keeps them focused on objectives
- develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development
- Senior management experience ideally as Head of Delegation/Mission, Country director/ Manager or Head of Programmes with an international organization or UN agency
- Extensive experience in humanitarian programmes is essential (while experience in the Asian region is preferable)
- In-depth understanding of results-based management and planning is crucial
- Higher/University Degree in Health or WASH
The ideal candidate will exhibit:
- Analytical skills and proven ability to solve complex humanitarian challenges.
- Thorough understanding of the humanitarian landscape, and the roles and mandates of the RCRC.
- Advanced knowledge of disaster preparedness and response mechanisms
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills.
- Proven track-record of successful partnerships and resource mobilisation
- Technical expertise in Health or WASH
A Master’s degree (preferably a MPH, MSc-WASH) is required
English is the working language of the region and fluency is essential to the smooth functioning of the job.
Regional Representative ASIA, based in Islamabad, Pakistan
Position is based in:
This is a mobile/roving position; selected candidate will be based in Kuala Lumpur, with frequent travels in the region, including Pakistan and Afghanistan.
24 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.