Head of Technical Secretariat
This UN Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for the Aral Sea region in Uzbekistan (MPHSTF) was established in 2018 under the aegis of the United Nations. It serves as a unique unified platform for international development cooperation and the mobilization of donor resources to implement integrated measures to address the negative consequences of the Aral Sea catastrophe. Its core objectives focus on mitigating inter-connected risks to human security, resilience-building of communities affected by the Aral Sea Disaster through an integrated and multi-level approach and to maintain the ecological balance in the Aral Sea basin. The MPHSTF is financed through joint funding from the participating UN agencies and the UN Human Security Trust Fund. The establishment of the MPHSTF is in line with Government priorities as defined in the State Programme on development of the Aral Sea region for 2017-2021.
The strategy of the MPHSTF is two-fold:
i) To govern a well-coordinated financial mechanism for implementing and sustainable financing of human security initiatives as a way to promote and mainstream the human security approach in the region.
ii) To enhance the partnership with the development partners aimed at restoring the ecological balance and socio-economic development of the Aral Sea region, through cooperation and implementation of the practical joint projects;
The MPHSTF is governed by a Steering Committee and supported by a Technical Secretariat. Dialogue with key representatives of other donors, government organizations, and civil society networks are held by the Steering Committee periodically to foster cooperation and a shared vision.
The Steering Committee is co-chaired by the High-Level Government representative and the UN Resident Coordinator in Uzbekistan and consists of representatives of contributors to the MPHSTF, civil society members, Participating UN Organizations, and national government representatives. The Administrative Agent (UNDP) and Secretariat are ex-officio members of the Steering Committee.
In order to ensure good programming the MPHSTF is supported by a Technical Secretariat. It provides technical, operational and administrative support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee and works under its overall guidance.
The Technical Secretariat supports the entire programming cycle of the MPHSTF with a workplan and budget reviewed annually by the Steering Committee. The Technical Secretariat also provides advice and quality control over the MPHSTF implementation and coordinates the meetings. It facilitates collaboration and communication between the Government of Uzbekistan, Participating UN Organizations, contributing donors and the co-chairs of the MPHSTF. It develops and implements a resource mobilization strategy to attract investments from other donor. The Technical Secretariat will supervise the implementation of interventions that are context-specific and rely on available local assets and resources thereby empowering the participating communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the MPHSTF Steering Committee and direct supervision of the Head of the UN Resident Coordination, and in close collaboration with relevant partners and UN agencies, the Head of the MPHSTF Technical Secretariat (HTS) will lead the Technical Secretariat work and, as such, perform both externally and internally-facing functions. The HTS will coordinate the implementation of MPHSTF activities and its entire programming cycle by focusing of the following tasks:
- Technical Secretariat Leadership and Key Fund Operations Management
- Strategic planning and programming of MPHSTF outcomes
- Support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee
- Advocacy and Building Strategic Partnerships
In particular, the HTS will be required to serve as a spokesperson (within the delegated authority) for the MPHSF but also ensure the effective and efficient delivery of high-quality resultsas follows:
1. Technical Secretariat Leadership and Key Fund Operations Management
- Provide on-going supervision and manage the MPHSTF Technical Secretariat team including the development and oversight of work plan and the secretariat budget
- Expedite MPHSTF-funded initiatives and projects
- Ensure the monitoring of operational risks and MPHSTF performance.
- Maintain a well-coordinated financial mechanism for the implementation and sustainable financing of human security initiatives
- Facilitate independent evaluations on the overall performance of the MPHSTF as directed by the Steering Committee
- Interface with the UN RCO on administrative issues related to different aspects of MPHSTF operations
2. Strategic planning, Programming and Results
- Lead the development of the Fund’s Results Based Management system and monitoring and evaluation framework
- Coordinate relevant processes for the selection of MPHSTF-supported initiatives and allocation of MPHSTF funding
- Closely monitor technical assistance provided by the MPHSTF Technical Secretariat in the development of proposals for funding and the implementation of MPHSTF-supported initiatives
- Organizes annual review reporting of the MPHSTF
- Monitor the progress on agreed results framework and performance indicators, updates the Fund’s risk management matrix
- Submit annual and final consolidated financial and narrative reports on Fund progress
3. Support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee (SC)
- Ensure provision of substantive administrative and operational support to the MPHSTF SC
- Coordinate the preparation of and provide necessary assistance to MPHSTF SC meetings
- Facilitate discussions within the membership of the Steering Committee on the appropriate objectives and parameters of MPHSTF-supported initiatives
- Provide necessary inputs to the MPHSTF SC in the process of conducting Standard Administrative Arrangements with potential Donors for resource mobilization.
- Provide necessary inputs to the MPHSTF SC in order to initiate review of proposed initiatives for possible funding through the Fund's mobilized resources.
4. Advocacy and Building Strategic Partnerships
- Facilitate coordination with Fund Stakeholders, in relevant Aral Sea focused inter-governmental fora and meetings and with relevant parts of the UN systems,
- Implement MPHSTF’s resource mobilization efforts
- Carry out outreach efforts vis-à-vis civil society actors, foundations, and the private sector and facilitate the identification of collaboration arrangements as appropriate
- Support external relations work to generate momentum, including political support and financial resources, around an appropriate scaling up vision for the MPHSTF
- Facilitate collaboration and communication between the Government of Uzbekistan, Participating UN Organizations, contributing donors and the co-chairs of the MPHSTF.
- Implement MPHSTF’s communication activities.
Perform other duties as appropriate in the scope of current position.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Leadership and Delivery
- Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support
- Ability to persuade others to follow and get things done
Communication & Innovation
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Managing Risk and Performance
- Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills
- Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines
- Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them
- Ability to engage with government, UN agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client
- Practical knowledge and skills for resource mobilization focusing on multilateral and bilateral donors
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets
- Solid project and personnel management skills,
Knowledge of the technical and programmatic support functions
Ability to evaluate project reports and financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner.
Required Skills and Experience
University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, business administration, International Relations or related field.
A minimum of 7 years’ progressive experience in Programme/Project/Technical Cooperation with government, multilateral institution or civil society organization is required
Experience in fund management (managing Multi-Donor Trust Funds or large-scale multi-stakeholder programmes including results based management, risk management, finance and operations) and resource mobilization, and knowledge of financing for development is required.
Proven experience establishing and managing relationships with multiple national and international stakeholders
Experience providing support to an administrative board or steering committee is desirable
Experience working with intergovernmental bodies in relation to sustainable development and/or disaster risk reduction is an asset.
Experience with UN and/or other international development organizations is an advantage;
Knowledge and experience with development situation in Aral Sea region is an asset.
Fluency in English, Russian and Uzbek.
Strong analytical and organizational skills, ability to work in a team.
Initiative, analytical skills, good ability in partnering and networking.
Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
Ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.