Project Assistant in Karshi
"Improved Public Service Delivery and Enhanced Governance in Rural Uzbekistan" is a joint project conducted by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The overall goal of the project to improve the quality of life of vulnerable sectors of the population in rural areas – such as women, youth and children, the elderly and people with disabilities – by enhancing their access to public services, and the quality of their provision. Equally, the project aims to strengthen citizen participation in the decision-making processes at the local level and increase their access to information, effectively increasing the transparency of the local governance system.
It also delineates a series of activities aiming at strengthening the capacity of local governments and citizens to monitor and provide feedback to Public Services Agency (PSA) for improving the performance of the Public Service Centers (PSCs) in public service delivery; effectively creating a quality control mechanism at the local level.
In addition, taking into account the Government’s recent legislative initiative that expands the powers of local authorities in formulating their budgets, this proposal also includes several activities intended to enable local governments to plan and manage their budgets effectively. It is expected that these activities will encourage wider local community engagement in the budget formulation process by systematically identifying local community needs and prioritizing local government interventions based on the environmental, social and economic concerns of local citizens.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Assistant will be responsible for the satisfactory achievement of the entrusted functions and tasks, as described below:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures smooth operation of the project field office in Karshi city (Kashkadarya region) and undertakes support needed to the project team in timely and effectively implementation of project pilot activities in Kashkadarya and Surkhandarya regions;
- Supports the project team in Tashkent to build a strong, mutually beneficial partnership with the regional project partners and governmental structures;
- Supports the project team to establish mutually beneficial cooperation and networking with the regional project stakeholders, beneficiaries and other interested parties (NGO, business, regional/local mass media, other international organizations implemented in pilot regions, etc);
- Works closely with relevant staff of Public Services Agencies and relevant Public Service Centers in Kashkadarya and Surkhandarya regions, consults with local government officials to ensure timely and efficient provision of thematic assistance to the project team;
- Supports the project team in implementation of the Project Communications Strategy to ensure that the project pilot regions (Kashkadarya and Surkhandarya) covered with the targeted PR and Outreach activities;
- Undertakes preparatory work in the pilot regions prior to any field trips of project national and international experts;
- Establishes effective communication with the project office in Tashkent and field office in Gulistan using all available means of communication required for maintaining an effective information exchange between the project staff, national and international consultants;
- Ensures smooth and timely delivery of programmatic support services to the project team in accordance with work plans;
- Serves as a thematic support for organization of various seminars, workshops, trainings, visits in the field, etc. in Kashkadarya, Surkhandarya and other pilot regions, as applicable;
- Analyses potential problems and takes appropriate measures to ensure timely delivery of agreed inputs;
- Keeps fully conversant with ongoing and planned project activities to facilitate realistic planning of thematic support services;
- Closely collaborate with the Project field office in Gulistan, Project Team in Tashkent and UNDP office in executing policies and plans foreseen by the project work plan;
- Defines cost-effective measures for optimal utilization of resources;
- Provides input for the preparation of status and progress reports on project implementation;
- Ensure leave monitoring of project personnel in Karshi, check the accuracy and proper completion of monthly leave reports;
- Performs other duties related to thematical issues of project as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
- Self-management, communications and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Computer literacy and ability to use modern technology as a tool in every-day work;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to quick learning;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Responds positively to feedback and different viewpoints.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative and reasonable risk taking,
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor's degree in any of the following areas: Business Administration, International Relations, Management, Economics, Social Sciences and other relevant fields.
At least 2 years of progressive working experience in the field of projects administration and implementation of development projects. Experience of working with the government agencies would be considered as a strong asset.
Fluency in Uzbek and Russian. Good working knowledge of English is required.
Ability to use ICT as a tool and resource;
Initiative, analytical judgment, ability work under pressure, ethics and honesty;
Good ability in partnering and networking and ability to work in a team, client-orientation;
Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.