Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
This UN Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for the Aral Sea region in Uzbekistan (MPHSTF) was established in 2018 under the aegis of the United Nations. It serves as a unique unified platform for international development cooperation and the mobilization of donor resources to implement integrated measures to address the negative consequences of the Aral Sea catastrophe. Its core objectives focus on mitigating inter-connected risks to human security, resilience-building of communities affected by the Aral Sea Disaster through an integrated and multi-level approach and to maintain the ecological balance in the Aral Sea basin. The MPHSTF is financed through joint funding from the participating UN agencies and the UN Human Security Trust Fund. The establishment of the MPHSTF is in line with Government priorities as defined in the State Programme on development of the Aral Sea region for 2017-2021.
The strategy of the MPHSTF is two-fold:
i) To govern a well-coordinated financial mechanism for implementing and sustainable financing of human security initiatives as a way to promote and mainstream the human security approach in the region.
ii) To enhance the partnership with the development partners aimed at restoring the ecological balance and socio-economic development of the Aral Sea region, through cooperation and implementation of the practical joint projects;
The MPHSTF is governed by a Steering Committee and supported by a Technical Secretariat. Dialogue with key representatives of other donors, government organizations, and civil society networks are held by the Steering Committee periodically to foster cooperation and a shared vision.
The Steering Committee is co-chaired by the High-Level Government representative and the UN Resident Coordinator in Uzbekistan and consists of representatives of contributors to the MPHSTF, civil society members, Participating UN Organizations, and national government representatives. The Administrative Agent (UNDP) and Secretariat are ex-officio members of the Steering Committee.
In order to ensure good programming the MPHSTF is supported by a Technical Secretariat. It provides technical, operational and administrative support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee and works under its overall guidance.
The Technical Secretariat supports the entire programming cycle of the MPHSTF with a workplan and budget reviewed annually by the Steering Committee. The Technical Secretariat also provides advice and quality control over the MPHSTF implementation and coordinates the meetings. It facilitates collaboration and communication between the Government of Uzbekistan, Participating UN Organizations, contributing donors and the co-chairs of the MPHSTF. It develops and implements a resource mobilization strategy to attract investments from other donor. The Technical Secretariat will supervise the implementation of interventions that are context-specific and rely on available local assets and resources thereby empowering the participating communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Technical Secretariat and in close collaboration with the relevant project partners, the Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for the implementation of activities aimed at establishing and maintaining M&E systems, results-based reporting and evaluation with appropriate institutional and governance system for the MPHSTF and its results framework.
The M&E specialist will be focusing of the following tasks:
- Planning, programming, and reporting on MPHSTF outcomes
- Supporting the Management and Administration of projects and initiatives
- Monitoring the Results for both MPHSTF and individual project outcomes
- Support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee
- Support to the PUNO’s in designing project M&E frameworks that are aligned with the MPHSTF’s results framework
1. Planning and programming of MPHSTF outcomes
- Support the development of quality programming and results management of the Fund,
- Prepare work plan and annual delivery targets
- Establish a Monitoring & Evaluation system with appropriate institutional and governance system for the MPHSTF in line with the existing framework and UN M&E requirements.
- Based on the human security concept, provide necessary inputs in ensuring that the indicators developed to be used for the M&E system of the MPHSF considers the human security concept and applies them.
2. Supporting the Management and Administration of projects and initiatives
- Provision of guidance and technical design assistance in the development of initiatives for funding
- Monitor the implementation of funded initiatives and project portfolio
- Liaise and coordinate with project managers and provide assistance when necessary
- Assist in Fund management and project budget monitoring
3. Results’ Monitoring and reporting for both MPHSTF and individual project outcomes
- Monitor the progress on agreed results framework and performance indicators
- Prepare annual and final consolidated narrative reports on Fund progress, in accordance with the agreed results framework and respective indicators, including on the activities of the Secretariat
- Conduct necessary monitoring and evaluation of the on-going initiatives in the Aral Sea region.
- Provide necessary inputs in organizing the data flow, including data collection, analysis and producing reports for different audiences including government, donor, private sector.
- Provide necessary inputs in reporting to the Government, UN Agencies and other partners and stakeholders.
4. Support to the MPHSTF Steering Committee (SC)
- Support the provision of substantive and operational secretariat support to the work of the MPHSTF SC
- Preparation of and providing necessary assistance to MPHSTF SC meetings
- Provide advice and quality control over the MPHSTF implementation to HTS in preparation of the meetings.
- Prepare necessary inputs to the MPHSTF SC in order to initiate review of proposed initiatives for possible funding through the Fund's mobilized resources.
- Contribute to the mid-term and annual reports to the MPHSTF SC
Perform other duties as required in scope of current positions.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
- Ability to get things done
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services
Technical and Functional Competencies:
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Knowledge of the technical and programmatic support functions
- Ability to lead planning and results-based management, monitoring against milestones and deadlines; adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning and organize action around mitigating them
- Ability to evaluate project reports and financial data, derive relevant findings and report them in a meaningful manner;
- Has the required competence to collect reliable, valid and accurate information in an objective way;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems; thinks "outside the box"
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology:
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners,
- Respectful and helpful relations with donors and project staff
- Focuses on result for the client
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in relevant areas, such as International Relations, Management, (Development) Economics, Social Studies, Development Studies, and Public or Business Administration.
A minimum of 3 years’ progressive experience in Programme and/or Project management with government, multilateral institutions, private sector or civil society organization is required. Experience in monitoring and evaluation, data collection and research.
Strong experience in strategic planning and programming for results is required
Experience with UN and/or other international development organizations is desirable;
Knowledge and experience with development situation in Aral Sea region is an asset.
Excellent computer/information systems skills.
Fluency in Uzbek and Russian. Good knowledge of English is a must.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, ability to work in a team.
- Initiative, analytical skills, good ability in partnering and networking.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.