Project Officer/Infrastructure - EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme (EU-funded) - UNDP Moldova (2 positions)
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
- To improve citizens' access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Local Development Manager and overall supervision from Programme Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme components related to infrastructure rehabilitation activities, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Officer applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Officer works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Officer (Infrastructure) in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Local Development Manager, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches.
- Assume responsibility for the practical coordination of and local community and business support infrastructure rehabilitation project activities and resources (human, financial, physical / material assets, etc.) in order to meet expected results.
- Provide assistance to the project team and local authorities in procurement activities related to local infrastructure projects.
- Ensure the effective coordination and supervision of human resources pertaining to the infrastructure subcomponent, including both engineers and short-term technical experts; provide support in development and periodic update of TORs for local technical supervisors and engineers assigned to infrastructural projects; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid sub-team of professionals.
- Assist and consult the local authorities and community groups in carrying out civil works; monitor contracts fulfillment, conduct periodical performance evaluations during projects’ implementation process.
- Establish in-house monitoring and evaluation systems on local development projects’ progress according to the grant agreements and UNDP procedures related to civil works. Maintain accurate written communication with subcontractors in accordance with UNDP procedures and requirements.
- Ensure timely submission of qualitative financial and activity reports by communities and sub-contractors and ensure harmonized reporting by recipients on key performance indicators.
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Contribute to the preparation of qualitative work plans and financial progress reports related to the community development projects as may be required by the Programme Management and UNDP CO.
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
- Maintain close coordination with assigned project partners, helping at ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy
- Experience in community-oriented programmes, project design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master or equivalent of 5 years University Degree in Civil Engineering/Construction, Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics or other related areas
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level in the areas of community development/infrastructure rehabilitation work. (Experience of work in the regions and/or in programmes financed by European Commission is a very strong advantage).
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems. User knowledge of specialised software: WinSmeta 2000 etc.
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian and Russian. Knowledge of English is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language, is an asset.
UNDP is an employer committed to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both male and female.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.