Programme Analyst, Ending Violence Against Women
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women also leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action.
In Viet Nam, UN Women contributes to the development objectives of Viet Nam’s Socio-Economic Development Plan and the National Strategy for Gender Equality. Its Country Strategy Note for 2016-2021 is aligned to the upcoming One Strategic Plan 2016-2021 and is focus on supporting Viet Nam’s fulfilment of Gender Equality commitments under CEDAW, and the promise of the 2030 Development Agenda to “leave no one behind”.
The key priorities of UN Women in the 2016-2021 period are, (i) to support transformation of government’s growth policies and related key sectoral policies such as rural development, labour and employment, Climate Change (CC), and disaster risk reduction and management (DRR/M) to progressively promote women’s economic security and resilience; (ii) deepen the implementation of CEDAW recommendations and the gender targets of SDGs that will ensure that gains in the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls are sustained and deepened.
The overarching goal for the second priority area is that “Women and girls will live free from discrimination and violence”. UN Women will support efforts both by government and civil society to strengthen implementation of laws and policies on ending violence against women and girls and other forms of discrimination in line with international standards; support promotion of favourable social norms, attitudes and behaviors to prevent discrimination and violence against women and girls; and step up support for enhancement in delivery of justice for women and girls who face discrimination and violence.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst is responsible for coordinating the UN Women programme portfolio in the area of Ending Violence Against Women. The Programme Analyst analyzes political and socio-economic trends and coordinates formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provides policy advice services, and actively contributes to advocacy, partnership development and UN coordination in her/his assigned area.
The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations team and other programme staff in the Country Office, programme staff in other UN Agencies, Regional Office and UN Women HQ as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the areas of EVAW
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of EVAW programme portfolio
- Coordinate the development of the annual workplans and budgets;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
- Provide technical assistance, policy advisory, and capacity development support to project/programme partners
- Coordinate and provide technical support and policy advice in the implementation of programme activities;
- Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the EVAW programmes;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners as needed.
- Provide technical inputs to programme/ project activities through monitoring and reporting
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Lead the preparation of donor and UN Women reports for the responsible programme portfolio.
- Provide substantive inputs to the management of finances
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
- Contribute to building strategic partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles;
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society based on strategic goals of UN Women and country needs.
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
- Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for EVAW in Vietnam
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Programme Specialist on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Participate in inter-agency coordination groups related to EVAW to promote partnerships and coordination.
- Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to EVAW;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate knowledge management and development of knowledge and communication products on EVAW.
- Act as resource person/speaker on EVAW in external events, when assigned
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules
- Timely monitoring and tracking of finances
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders
- Timely organization of events
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to provide sound policy advice and support to partners
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good knowledge of theories and practice to Governance, Women’s Human Rights and EVAW
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Experience working on Women’s Human Rights, gender equality and EVAW is an asset
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset
- Fluency in English and Vietnamese is required
- Knowledge of other UN official working language is an asset.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.