Human Resources Specialist
The HR Specialist, within their area of responsibility, is accountable for implementing HR services that enhance the capacity of their clients to deliver on their business goals and objectives. In doing so, the incumbent demonstrates the ability to anticipate HR-related needs and develop subsequent plans and solutions that align HR management with business objectives.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of Unit, and in close collaboration with all Operations Units and Programme Sections, the UN Volunteer Human Resources Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Serve as the single point of contact for his/her client portfolio on advice pertaining to all aspects of the employment life cycle for GS and NO staff
- Provide accurate and timely advice to clients on HR processes and policies, ensuring the highest level of client-orientation for GS and NO staff
- Proactively advise clients on the resolution of human resources issues ensuring equitable and transparent solutions that protects both the staff and organizations interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures (GS and NO staff)
- Promote the organizational goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity.
Strategic Human Resources
- Liaise with the HQ Divisions, regional and country offices to support and contribute to corporate HR strategy formulation and global implementation. Provide feedback and make recommendations on the establishment and improvement of HR systems, policies and processes
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in HR management and contribute to the development of global policies, procedures and introduce innovation through sharing of best practices and knowledge learned
Implementation of assigned Human Resources Services
- Provide support to the management of GS and NO workforce (recruitment, job classification, career development, performance management, data analytics, learning & development etc.) to help their supervisors in implementing efficient client services that help either attract, retain and/or motivate staff of the highest caliber.
Learning and Capacity Development
- In collaboration with business owners, supports design and delivery of learning plans for staff to enhance their knowledge and build skills in new areas.
- Contributes to the mapping of competencies for GS and NO staff, assisting in the development of a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Provide orientation briefings to new staff GS and NO staff
- Provide day-to-day performance and talent management guidance to line management to GS and NO staff (e.g., coaching, counselling, career development, career conversations, and disciplinary actions).
HR Data Analytics
- Provides inputs on strategic decision making on HR processes and strategies.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Human resource management, business management, international relations, psychology or another related field is required. A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degreeRequired experience: 96 Months Experience remark:
- Qualifications, skills, experience:
- Years of work experience: At least 8 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in Human Resources Management; experience with UNICEF an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Area of expertise requirement:
- Experience and ability to implement targeted and innovative human resources strategies to address clients’ people-related needs.
- Ability to implement innovative HR programs within a fast paced, evolving, and wide organizational setting.
- In-depth technical knowledge of the principles and concepts of human resources management.
- Ability to identify and analyze systemic issues, formulate opinions and make conclusions and recommendations to resolve same.
- Excellent knowledge of organizational and HR information technology systems and tools.
- Interpersonal and Communication
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Ability to empathize with client managers, supervisors and staff while advocating for consistent and equitable applications of promulgated HR regulations and rules.
The incumbent must be a dynamic, multi-functional person, who supports UNICEF with professionalism, dedication and client orientation, and who must be willing both to work on substantive aspects and to provide operational services. The following qualifications are required:
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Good listening capacity
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Diversity and inclusion: Treats all people with dignity and respect; shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences; challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace; encourages diversity wherever possible.
- Integrity: Maintains high ethical standards; takes clear ethical stands; keeps promises; immediately addresses untrustworthy or dishonest behaviour; resists pressure in decision-making from internal and external sources; does not abuse power or authority.
- Commitment: Demonstrates commitment to UNICEF’s mission and to the wider UN system; demonstrates the values of UNICEF in daily activities and behaviours; seeks out new challenges, assignments and responsibilities; promotes UNICEF’s cause.
- Communication: Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; presents information with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience; presents information in a well-structured and logical way.
- Working with people: Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Drive for results: Sets high standards for quality of work; monitors and maintains quality of work; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals; focuses on the needs and satisfaction of internal and external partners; accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Managing Performance, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams