Protection Assistant (Case Management)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the Job:
Under the guidance of the Protection Team Leader (Case Management), the Protection Assistant (Case Management) is responsible of the delivery of specialized protection and humanitarian assistance to IDPs, migrants and refugees in Libya. The position implements case management processes from intake to closure: identification, assessment, care planning, using referral pathways, providing IPA and counselling. The position coordinates with other team members to ensure best implementation of activities, monitoring and data collection, so as to ensure quality and efficiency of the overall protection programme.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of community mapping exercises and outreach under the guidance of Protection Team leader and Protection officer.
- In coordination with the Protection Officer, conduct service mapping of international and local actors.
- Maintain a strong rapport with the community focal points, external actors and beneficiaries.
- Ensure that relevant program tools, forms and SOPs and the applicable professional standards related to protection and humanitarian interventions are adhered to.
- Support protection officer as needed in data collection activities, assessments and related programme activities.
- In coordination with the Protection Officer and Team leader, Use solid participatory approaches with attention to age, gender, diversity and vulnerability criteria, to facilitate meaningful dialogues with individuals and communities.
- Implement proper case management steps to identify protection cases and support them through a durable and sustainable approach
Representation and coordination:
- In coordination with the Protection Team leader and Officer, represent DRC to a range of stakeholders including individual beneficiaries and community groups, humanitarian agencies, services providers, local authorities, etc. To this end, ensure professional standards and transparent communication to build trust and collaboration with concerned stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the MEAL teams in carrying monitoring, evaluation and feedback activities within the target areas.
- Ensure proper use of tools and online platforms provided for effective reporting information management as relevant.
- Document all steps of the case management properly using standardized tools and SoP’s.
- Support the coordination of programme activities as they relate to logistics, administration, finances or security as relevant, in coordination with the relevant departments. Ensure the compliance of staff with the relevant internal policies and directives.
About you :
o 1 –2 years of professional experience in the field of humanitarian interventions, social work, case management, human rights or community development, preferably with an international humanitarian organization.
o Solid knowledge of the migration context in Libya and of the protection issues affecting migrants and refugees.
o Knowledge of case management process, steps and principles.
o Strong skills in communication (Written and oral), interpersonal and facilitation skills.
o Proven capacity to document, summarize and analyze information in a clear and systematic manner.
o Solid experience in responding to needs of particularly vulnerable individuals and groups using analyses of age, gender, and diversity and other criteria.
Demonstrated capacity to effectively represent a humanitarian organization with the individuals and communities and build trust.
We are also expecting:
• University Degree in the field of social sciences, political affairs, humanitarian affairs, international law, development or any other related field
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
• Knowledge of French will be added value
This position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya.
Suggested start Date: 01 Feb 2020
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 01 January 2020 .
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visitdrc.ngo/jobsupport.