Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Communication Officer
About the Job
Promote DRC's mission, mandate, work and advocacy strategies in country, working closely with programme teams to identify appropriate methods to communicate to relevant parties.
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Visibility and communication (60%)
• Assist in planning, developing and implementing DRC SC communication and visibility activities in line with donor requirements.
• Support project managers in developing communication and visibility plans for their projects.
• Be directly responsible for the day-to-day coordination and implementation of the communication and visibility plans for different projects. In particular, ensure donor compliance of visibility requirements on premises, items, produced materials and during events. Support field teams in meeting requirements.
• Provide support to development and production of project related visibility materials e.g., leaflets, banners, newsletters, thematic bulletins, photo-books, etc.
• Logistical assistance and support to programme staff in the organization of conferences and workshops and ensuring media coverage.
• Prepare, edit and publish monthly quarterly newsletter.
• Prepare, collect, edit and publish monthly human interest stories from DRC operations for purpose of shirring with donors and for DRC internal use.
Social Media and outreach (20%)
• Manage and monitor all DRC Turkey social media accounts.
• Develop and publish dynamic and engaging social media content (both text and visual content).
• Strengthen DRC’s social media presence; for example, through interaction with members/supporters/followers, amplifying relevant content from the DRC, sharing content and disseminating DRC’s key advocacy and campaign messages.
• Design and implement digital marketing and campaign engagement strategies.
• Use social media analytics tools to monitor, report and implement improvements in response to regular performance assessments.
• Prepare, edit and publish monthly internal newsletter.
• Strengthen outreach efforts and engagement.
• Provide support to teams in their outreach efforts (e.g. members’ bulletin, news digest, save-the-dates, invitations, events release).
• Maintain subscriber lists and ensure DRC complies with latest legislation (GDPR).
• Producing talking points, messages, background information and context, for sharing across DRC field offices and with the DRC regional and field communication network.
• Provide inputs to donor reports and project proposals related to communications and visibility.
• Ensuring frequent and regular news outputs for DRC including briefing notes, press releases, fact sheets, press lines, 'if-asked' guidance notes, social media outputs, etc. for the regions and issues under area of responsibility - working closely with country and regional public information staff, subject experts, and regional and country representatives.
• Maintaining up to date specialist knowledge of matters pertaining to the country and issues under area of responsibility and up to date familiarity with DRC wider operations, policies.
• Researching, studying, and fact-checking in support of expert communications outputs.
Collaborate with other departments to manage and facilitate social media, communications and visibility content
To be successful in this role, you must have University Degree in communication, journalism or similar or equivalent professional qualification.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• Excellent oral and written skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communication and advocacy materials
• At least 2 years' experience working in communications and/or advocacy
• Experience working in an international NGO
• Advanced English proficiency
• Fluency in local language
• Understanding of challenges faced by field operations, problems of implementing programmes and constraints of negotiating with local authorities and persons of concern.
• Professional communication skills, including social media and other media skills, plus strong interpersonal skills.
• Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential), and familiarity with working in multimedia contexts
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months (renewable dependent on both funding and performance)
Employment Band: H
Designation of Duty Station: Hatay Country Office
Start date: 15.01.2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 04.01.2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.