Junior Operations Consultant - ShareTheMeal
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
JOB TITLE: Junior Operations Consultant, ShareTheMeal
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Local Consultant
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Berlin, Germany
DURATION: 11 months, extendable
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest provider of humanitarian food assistance. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 82 countries each year Around 14,000 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor.
This VA is for local recruitment, therefore, applicants must reside within commuting distance of the WFP Berlin, Germany office
ShareTheMeal is developed as the first pilot project of the WFP Innovation Accelerator, part of the Innovation and Change Management Division, which aims to combine start-up lean thinking with non-profit projects to reduce food insecurity and malnutrition. This division reports to the Chief of Staff of WFP and seeks to create value through prioritizing and better harnessing innovative ideas, as well as scaling up transformative projects to a global level.
The ShareTheMeal app was launched in 2015 and currently has more than 1,000,000 users. The team, located in Berlin, is focused on further developing the app to include new and innovative features, and on increasing the engagement of existing users and growing the user base through marketing and communication initiatives.
The Consultant, reporting to the Head of Operations for the ShareTheMeal initiative, is expected to:
1. Support procurement operations of the ShareTheMeal initiative
a. Manage expenses and process invoices.
b. Lease with the relevant stakeholders at WFP and manage external stakeholders.
c. Assist with day-to-day procurement requests.
2. Support financial operations of the ShareTheMeal initiative
a. Prepare financial reports and analysis.
b. Assist with financial and budgetary planning and reporting where necessary.
3. Support and optimize the ongoing operations of the ShareTheMeal initiative.
a. Carry out discussions with relevant external counterparts and WFP staff to derive options on operations processes.
b. Provide administrative support for the ShareTheMeal initiative and coordinate with other relevant WFP stakeholders.
c. Conduct customer support activities and develop process improvements where applicable.
d. Support localization tasks for the ShareTheMeal initiative.
e. Assist with the organisation of internal and external meetings/events.
4. Support other activities as required
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Procurement requests and invoices are managed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Smooth day-to-day financial processes in place.
- Stable operations/administrative processes in the areas of responsibility are in place.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Unversity Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree is preferred.
- 2 or more years of related experience in operations, finance, office management, procurement, project management or a demonstrable track record of leveraging similar skillsets in other areas.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative; meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to produce high-quality written materials, experience with content management systems would be an advantage
- Excellent command of Excel and solid understanding of reporting
- Ability to interact with managers with maturity and tact
- Mature judgment with strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully and to work to tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the World Food Programme
- Excellent verbal and written language skills in English and German, with clear, consistent communication. Knowledge of another official UN language is a plus.
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 26 January 2020
Ref.: VA No. 111923
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.