Livelihoods Officer (LAP)
About the job
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Ukraine DRC operates since 2007. From 2015 on, DRC has successfully implemented livelihoods programmes aimed to provide IDPs and conflict-affected populations with income-earning opportunities, thus strengthening their resilience and reducing their dependence on traditional humanitarian aid. Livelihoods Officer reports to Team Leader - Livelihoods.
Overall purpose of the role
- Under supervision of Livelihoods Assistance Programme for Eastern Ukraine (LAP) Team Leader, contribute to the implementation of DRC livelihoods programmes, namely, Market Systems Development (MSD/M4P) projects, that benefiting the poor people, through extensive field visits, market assessment, value chain analysis and seeking potential entry points and close collaboration with private/public sectors in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
Sector responsibilities: Business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation. Support and capacity building of government institutions, market assessment, value chains development, advocacy activities.
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations
Geographic scope: Area (Slovyansk)
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Programming & Operations
- Under the leadership of the Livelihoods Team Leader based in Slovyansk, ensure smooth implementation of project activities related to MSD interventions;
- Support information dissemination and outreach activities to ensure active participation of the potential business partners from private/public sectors in MSD programmes;
- Conduct activities on market assessment, value chain analysis, seeking potential entry points in Donetsk and Luhansk oblast;
- Participate in the selection process of the MSD projects and provide feasibility assessments as required;
- Implement MSD projects in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, including colaboration with private/public sector, collection of and analysing data, maintenance documentation process, control over the target use of the funds disbursed under the signed grant agreements, monitoring execution respective conditions under grant agreements;
- Extension field visits and close colaboration with representatives of private and public sectors in relation to programme activities;
- Design market assessments of the target communities, develop relevant questionnaires, assessment forms, programme tools, etc., in relation to MSD interventions, that will help DRC to capture changes in market systems that benefit the poor and define attribution of the LAP interventions in terms of achieving these changes;
- Participate in the selection process of the small scale grants for rural areas to support identified competitive value chains and provide feasibility assessments;
- Control regular monitoring and evaluate the impact on the implemented MSD projects;
- Close collaboration with DRC-DDG Support Unit in relation to programme activities;
- Back-up other LAP Livelihoods Officers and Assistants when necessary;
- Maintain good working relations within DRC-DDG and other organizations in the area of responsibility;
- Cooperate with UN agencies, INGO’s and national NGO’s as needed;
- Liaise with local authorities as necessary;
- Understand, and ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct;
- Perform other tasks as requested by DRC management;
- Preparation different reports related to programme activities;
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan;
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors;
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop projects tools
- Project implementation and reporting
- Monitor and evaluate projects
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Minimum 5 years of general working experience, minimum 1 year working for an INGO, preferably livelihoods sector
- Good understanding the nature of MSD programmes, their guidelines and criteria and respective requirements for potential business partners from private/public sectors for M4P interventions
- Field experience
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language: Ukrainian, Russian
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 3 months with the possibility to extend
Start date: February 2020
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
ATTENTION: Though external and internal candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position, in case of equal level of qualifications and interview performance the preference will be given to an internal candidate.
Closing date for applications: 23 January 2020.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.