Helper SC1 (Port Office) - Aden
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving Lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
In 2019, WFP is scaling up its Yemen operations aiming to provide 12 million people with monthly food assistance through direct food distributions, vouchers or cash and nutritional support to nearly 3 million pregnant and nursing women and children under 5.
The helper is under the supervision of the Logistics Assistant Port and will provide support to the Port/Shipping operations in Aden port.
To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
- Provide portering and cleaning services (e.g. moving assets, reorganizing/installing workstations, assisting in setting up conference/meeting/event locations, removing waste materials, emergency cleaning, etc.), to support organized and safe work environment.
- Provide administrative support in the handling of Port office traffic i.e to drivers and Clearing Agents during issuing of Waybills and other operational documents.
- Maintaining the day to day Basic maintenance of WFP Port Office, electricity, Plumbing, etc.
- Follow up on the gate passes for WFP staff / Visitors at Port.
- Clearing all utility bills - Electricity / Water Supply of WFP Port Office.
- Support WFP Port Team on administrative tasks e.g photocopying waybills and loading Slips;
- Provide assistance to UN, WFP and NGOs passengers who travel/arrival with Vos Apollo / Theia (Passport stamp / Check-Out Service) ;
- Deliver Reports / Letters to Customs, YS & Port Authority on a daily basis;
- Helping organize the drivers who request waybills and other operational documents.
- Perform other duties, as required by the supervisor.
Education: No specific requirements. Completion of secondary school education is an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of machine operations and use of cleaning materials/solutions.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies in good working order.
- Knowledge of safety precautions.
- Ability to multi-task and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to job
- Ability to handle a large volume of work quickly and accurately under time
- Ability to maintain accurate and precise records.
- High sense of responsibility and punctuality.
- Honesty and integrity.
Language: Intermediate knowledge (level B) of the UN language in use at the duty station and fluency (level C) in the duty station’s language, if different.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
Three or more years of related experience in support of office business processes , and at least one year at SC1 level or equivalent
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer.
- WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national or having work/residency permit.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only.
- Indicate all your job TOR.
- Indicate clear years of experience with each job (month/year)
- WFP FT staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply.
- Employees with SC contracts who finished 12 months in WFP are eligible to apply.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
22 January 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.