Junior Professional Officer (JPO) - Programme Analyst
Why this is a truly interesting position?
Kyrgyzstan CO is going through a programmatic transformation moving from the conventional programming into innovative and different way of doing development on the ground.
Moreover, the office is led by one of the UN Innovation Champions, who is also a certified UN Women professional development coach, and who is constantly practicing coaching as part of her regular leadership roles in the team, and who is expected to remain in the country for the next 3-4 years (she started in July, 2019).
The CO is truly experimenting and paving a path towards a learning organization, and recently it has moved to its new premises, an open and collaborative space for the team and its partners that serves as one of the critical enablers for greater experimentation and faster learning in WHR and GE areas.
UN Women in the Kyrgyz Republic
UN Women is one of the 20 agencies present in the Kyrgyz Republic and operate a Country Office, with full Delegation of Authority obtained as of 2015.
In 2020 UN Women will be implementing the following major projects: EU/UN Joint Program on Spotlight focusing on eliminating violence against women, UN Joint Program on Women and Migration under Peace Building Fund, EU funded program on EVAW, Statistics and data project, among others.
These projects are implemented through close inter-coordination at the policy, institutional and local levels in the country. The coordination is ensured through joint weekly meetings, coordination and cooperation around the key actions that are supported by the country office team with respect to program and operations functions.
Core funds are strategically used in the priority areas, where UN Women does not have funded programmatic coverage. Core funds also cover the Organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
UN Women is represented in the UN Country Team (UNCT) from its first days. We are a signatory to the Multi-Donor Trust Fund. We extend continuous support to the Government, Parliament, CSOs, Media, LPAs and communities in the country in promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women through close cooperation and coordination with the UN agencies, including under the guidance and leadership of the UN RC.
More specifically, UN Women continues supporting UN coherence agenda with the specific inputs on promoting Gender Equality (GE) and women’s empowerment (WE), coordinating the work on Gender Theme Group, leading Civil Society Advisory Group (CSAG),
From the Human Resources perspectives currently, there will be 22 persons in the UN Women team at the country level.
UN Women in Kyrgyzstan will be leading the implementation of the Spotlight EU/UN initiative in Kyrgyzstan, a truly transformative program to be delivered with new tools and approaches.
Thus, lots of learning to be done, along with greater coordination and collaboration within the UN, as well as jointly with the Gov, CSOs and other wider group of stakeholders in close partnership with women and men, who are leading change in the communities and institutions in the country.
The JPO will be strategically placed within the CO to provide technical coherence support to UN Women and will have unique opportunity to contribute to advancing the UN reform on the ground with the thematic focus on SDG5.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
Analysis and monitoring of trends, opportunities and challenges: 30% of time
- Undertake research and desk reviews on Eliminating Violence Against Women and Girls, gender equality, economic empowerment of women victims of VAW.
- Prepare analysis, recommendations, background documents, briefing notes, public presentations and talking points
- Assist the Country Office identify promising practice, technical expertise and strategic opportunities for addressing EVAW and gender issues
- Follow-up on counterpart relationships and assist the supervisor to create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc in EVAW area.
Knowledge Management and reporting: 40% of time
- Assist in developing EVAW knowledge management and learning approach for the CO
- Collect information on EVAW and provide inputs to quarterly and yearly updates for CO
- As appropriate, manage knowledge product production, including with leaflets and blogs, through direct contribution to the production or through commissioning inputs from experts.
- Ensure appropriate internal and external dissemination of knowledge products including at conference and expert meetings
- Support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Contribute to the development of a regional knowledge hub and propose ways to enrich its evidence on women, peace and security issues
Coordination and Cooperation: 10% of time
- Coordinate and provide quality and timely inputs to the work of UN Gender Theme Group, UN Women Civil Society Advisory Group, Donors Group on Gender focusing on EVAW matters;
- Follow the corporate as well as locally adopted guidelines and rules of cooperation and coordination with the above mentioned platforms;
Project/program development and implementation, resource mobilization: 20% of time
- Work closely with the National Program Office and other UN Women team members at the country level to provide program support to develop and implement programs to enhance capacities of women victims of violence, including their economic empowerment
- Gather information and assist in preparing reports on progress of programme implementation, assessing results and identifying risks, and ensure achievement of results as planned and in accordance with UN Women Strategic Note Goals and Objectives and accountability framework, including effective application of RBM tools
- Regular monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme interventions in the country.
- Provide tangible inputs to the preparation of donor proposals and reports to ensure quality, compliance with requirements as per established rules, regulations, including the commitments under relevant UNDAFs and the UN Women Strategic Plans in EVAW and gender equality areas. Take timely action to take any corrective action to meet standards for submissions.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge management skills
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of technical area
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree (Masters Level) in social sciences, gender studies, politics and/ or international affairs, development, international law, security studies, statistics or economic related technical field
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- A minimum of 2 years of paid working experience in a relevant field (human rights, conflict prevention, humanitarian issues, gender and development, monitoring and evaluation, peacekeeping, programme and policy analysis, strategic planning)
- Experience with women’s organizations internationally and in the field desirable. Specific work experience on combating violence against women will be an asset
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of Russian or Kyrgyz is an asset
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- National of Finland
- Applicants must be no older than 32 years of age as of 31 December 2020
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.