Protection Manager - Short Term
DRC has provided humanitarian assistance to people in need in Myanmar since 2009. DRC is currently engaged in humanitarian response in Rakhine, Kachin, Northern Shan and Kayah.
In 2012, waves of inter-communal violence swept through Rakhine, forcing approximately 140,000 persons to flee their homes and take refuge in IDP camps spread across the state. DRC activities target these IDPs, as well as other local vulnerable populations such as host villages and isolated villages. DRC implements a multi-sector response, including camp management, GBV, Child Protection, Livelihoods, Protection, and WASH in Sittwe, Pauktaw, and Mrauk-U Townships in Rakhine.
DRC/DDG Myanmar currently employs over 385 national and 34 international staff and operates from eight operational offices. To strengthen Protection activities in Rakhine State, DRC is looking for highly motivated and capable candidates to fill the position of;
Protection Manager – Short Terms
Reporting to: Area Manager (line manager) and Protection Coordinator (technical manager)
Direct reports: Staff within sector – General Protection Project Manager, CP Project Manager, GBV Project Manager.
Based in: Sittwe, Rakhine with frequent travels to other bases.
Duration of contract: 3 months
Overall purpose of the role:
- Overall responsibility for the implementation of Country Protection Strategy and the day to day management of DRC’s sector projects within geographical area of responsibility – General Protection, Child Protection and Gender-Based Violence, ensuring that all protection programs are in-line with DRC technical quality standards and are on time, budget and scope.
- Direct management for relevant sector project managers
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, case management and case support, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, other protection issues according to the context.
Geographic scope: Area (Rakhine)
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations. This role covers the whole of Rakhine state, including all protection activities managed from Sittwe, Mrauk'Oo and Maungdaw.
- Strategic vision and supervision of the general protection, GBV and CP programme in Rakhine, in coordination with, and technical supervision of, national Protection Coordinator
- Taking a leading role in the updating and review of the Myanmar protection strategy and in drafting protection oriented advocacy notes, concept notes and project proposals, in coordination with, and technical supervision of, national Protection Coordinator.
- Ensuring implementation of protection mainstreaming/integration guidance for other technical teams (CCCM, WASH, Livelihoods, social cohesion)
- Implementation of new approaches to Protection information management systems, in coordination with, and technical supervision of, national Protection Coordinator.
People and Program Management
- Overall responsibility for program performance, supporting sector managers in program and budget planning and overall project cycle management.
- Ensure program's adaptability to the operational context, support in adapting tools and program implementation approaches to remote management modality as needed.
- Lead and manage the sector teams, including people planning, performance, well-being and development.
- Coordinate and support national staff capacity building for all protection teams
- Coordinating closely with the Protection, GBV and CP teams to provide general management support and ensure synergies
- Ensure implementation of general protection projects by backstopping General Protection Project Manager(s) as required (as largest programme)
- Strengthening the protection monitoring system including analysis of information related to GBV Safety audits and CP monitoring results.
- Facilitate and coordinate the submission of monthly protection monitoring reports for Rakhine and identification of key messages and responses to monitoring findings
- Maintaining overall budget and procurement oversight, supporting the GBV project manager, Protection Project Manager and Child Protection Project Manager as needed to ensure that budget forecasting and expenditure is completed as per contractual obligations, and donor compliance is ensured
- Responsibility for ensuring that donor reports on protection, GBV, CP outputs and activities in Rakhine are completed according to specified internal timelines.
- Providing leadership on durable solutions programming and advocacy in Rakhine State
Monitoring, reporting and development
- Liaise with the M&E Manager to develop and implement an M&E plan for protection, GBV and Child Protection activities, develop the community feedback mechanism, map lessons learnt and identify opportunities for evaluations and quality improvement.
- Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standards
- Program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
- ensure continuous updating of project documentation and files
- Identify new opportunities for protection intervention and work closely with, Area Manager, Protection Coordinator, technical project managers and the Grants Unit to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budgets.
- Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction. Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address related problems
External coordination and representation
- Share relevant project information with external stakeholders as necessary and required
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings. Ensure DRC Protection representation in Rakhine Protection Working Group and other technical groups
- Together with the Area Manager, and national Protection Coordinator, coordinating and liaising closely with UNHCR, (I)NGOs and other stakeholders to ensure a participatory, transparent and coordinated approach. Work with AM, Protection Coordinator and others to ensure consistent external messaging from DRC.
- Look for ways to work more closely with the Government, and coordinate with relevant Government departments, whenever is appropriate to the context, and taking full account of resultant risks and opportunities.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as requested by the Manager
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in Protection working for an INGO
- At least 3 years' experience with people management and Protection project management
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Master's degree (e.g. political science, human rights, humanitarian project management, international development, or economics)
- Relevant field experience
- Relevant people management experience
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- UN agencies, Government, other INGOs
- Other DRC technical teams
- DRC National Protection Coordinator
DRC will offer the successful applicant with 3 months contract. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. The position is placed in Employment Band F, level 2.
The duty station is Sittwe, Rakhine State, with occasional travel to Mrauk Oo and to Yangon as needed. Sittwe is a non-family duty station.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an up-to-date CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: 24 January 2020 (Friday)
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and a candidate may be appointed before the closing date)