Consultancy: Senior Social Scientist, Demand for Immunization (Home Based) - Health Section / Programme Division / NYHQ- REQ# 528874
New York City (United States of America)
In close collaboration and working with the Senior Adviser for C4D and the C4D
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Consultancy Title: Consultant - Senior Social Scientist, Demand for Immunization (Home Based)
Section/Division/Duty Station: Health Section / Programme Division / NYHQ
Duration: 230 Days
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
UNICEF plays a leadership role in World Immunization Week (WIW) which is celebrated in the last week of April every year and aims to promote the use of vaccines to protect people of all ages against diseases. WIW demonstrates the value of vaccines, the need to build on immunization progress while addressing gaps, including through increased investment, how routine immunization is the foundation for strong, resilient health systems and universal health coverage.
UNICEF is regarded by its partners as a leader on the social, psychological and behavioral dimensions of vaccine hesitancy, and in the establishment and stewardship of the inter-agency Immunization Demand Hub (DH). The objectives of the Demand Hub are to harmonize, coordinate, and communicate with partners on vaccine demand and uptake at global, regional and country levels. The Demand Hub has been recognized as a success and has raised the profile and visibility of UNICEF in immunization.
Immunization/C4D plays a very important technical and advisory role of providing content, developing and reviewing all media products, accuracy checking and providing rapid technical guidance to Department of Communications and Office of Executive Director.
Terms of Reference / Deliverables
In close collaboration and working with the Senior Adviser for C4D and the C4D Specialist, the consultant’s responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide technical support for WIW to ensure the preparation of high quality, accurate technical content including reviewing all media products, accuracy checking and providing rapid technical guidance to DoC
- Contribute to UNICEF’s thought leadership on vaccine hesitancy by providing technical guidance to Global, ROs, CO’s through development and publication of technical papers, and rapid technical guidance to Department of Communications and Office of Executive Director in the form of media inquiries, speaking points, presentations
- Provide technical guidance to the development of Retional Demand Guidance and serve on an advisory committee, and develop presentations and guidance notes for UNICEF RO’s to present demand at RITAGs
- Contribute to UNICEF’s stewardship of the global Immunization Demand Hub, including providing technical support for meetings, work planning, and implementation of operational roadmap. Facilitate the DH workstreams, preventing and responding to outbreaks of misinformation and applying “behavioural insights. Develop PowerPoint presentations on topics of importance in the field of demand for the Demand Hub and writing support for Demand Hub related guidelines and resources.
The consultancy is expected to be commenced from 1 February to 8 January 2021 for total of 230 days.
- Masters degree and PHD in Public Health, Social Science or related field.
2) Work experience and Competencies
A minimum of 15 years of extensive experience in International Health and Communicable Disease prevention of which at least 5 years of experience in:
- Technical assistance, management, training and capacity building internationally for vaccine demand and acceptance.
- Working on vaccine demand, vaccine hesitancy projects and related developments at country, regional and global levels.
- Proven experience in strategic negotiations and planning in multi-stakeholder settings including conflict and emergency settings
- A strong track record and background in vaccine demand, vaccine hesitancy, behavior change communication, and application of social science or medical humanity-related disciplines (sociology, psychology, anthropology, social-epidemiology) to public health.
- Demonstrated experience with global and regional partnerships and working with donors
- Strong analytical, oral & written communication skills
- Proven track record in building and influencing complex multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Self-starter with ability to plan and execute projects in a timely manner with strong planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to strategic and conceptual thinking
- Fluency in English and excellent writing skills; working knowledge of other languages is an asset
- Completed profile in UNICEF's e-Recruitment system and provide Personal History Form (P11) (can be downloadedhere: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_consultancy_assignments.html
- Upload copy of academic credentials
Financial proposal that will include:
- your daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above
- travel costs and daily subsistence allowance, if internationally recruited or travel is required as per TOR.
- Any other estimated costs: visa, health insurance, and living costs as applicable.
- Indicate your availability
- Any emergent / unforeseen duty travel and related expenses will be covered by UNICEF.
- At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage.
- Payment of professional fees will be based on submission of agreed satisfactory deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
U.S. Visa information:
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. View our competency framework at: Here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.