The Stabilization Facility for Libya aims to bridge the critical period of transition from initial period of humanitarian relief towards mid- and long-term structural and sector-specific support. It will include time-bound quick interventions at the municipality level that seek to enhance the legitimacy of the Government of National Accord (GNA) within the Libyan population through provision of concrete improvements and peace dividends at the community level through rehabilitation of critical infrastructure, building the capacity of local authorities to address the needs of their population, and enhancing local mediation and conflict resolution capacities and processes. The Stabilization Facility is a Libyan led initiative with the Prime Minister or his representative chairing the board jointly with the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General, and the activities being implemented in cooperation with Libyan local authorities. The stabilization activities will be guided by quick needs assessments and consultations with local authorities and other relevant local stakeholders, such as civil society organizations. The Facility will be initially limited to specific localities depending on available funding but must be scalable to encompass the entire state territory.
For this objective to be possible, the Facility needs to ensure that the project is delivered consistently and effectively. This requires skillful management of all project implementation including the production of timely reports for the SFL’s donors.
Under the direct supervision of the SFL Project Manager (or her/his delegate), the Project Assistant will contribute to overall project management, ensuring efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness of project implementation and reporting to government partners, Board members, and other outside stakeholders. (S)he will work closely with the Procurement, Engineering and Finance units to ensure coherence and adherence with UNDP policies, procedures, and processes. (S)he will also liaise closely with the Country Office Communications Specialist to ensure communication and reporting on project implementation on a timely basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Contribute in the day to day management ensuring effective implementation of the project
- Supports the Project management in managing the Programme
- Contributes to the production of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other material to SFL contributors.
Contribute in ensuring the day today management of the project activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organize and facilitate meetings missions; workshops, seminars, trainings and all other programme related events by securing the venue, arranging tickets, accommodations, entitlements, required security clearance requests and any other necessary support for the participants and team members;
- Assist in preparing mission planning, following up the requires approval process as well as preparation of necessary documents after the return from the mission for the Projects (staff and consultants) and other participants as requested;
- Prepare financial reports, update on available funds, and support the preparation of delivery reports.
- Ensure monitoring of progress of delivery of goods and civil works in all project locations through regular updating of the procurement monitoring time line in coordination with Procurement Unit.
- Updating ATLAS as required.
Supports the Project management in managing the Programme
- Maintain the UNDP component of the Projects in Atlas, prepare required budget revisions, revision of Programme award and Programme status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of the Programme;
- Create requisitions and register goods receipt in Atlas;
- Make budget check for requisitions;
- Arrange for appointments and maintain a calendar of meetings for designated programme officers;
- Prepare and review the Projects Financial Reports;
- Present information for audits of the Programme, and participate in implementation of audit recommendations;
- Act as a focal point and ensure timely routine correspondence related to relevant finance, administrative and human resources matters;
- Prepare security clearance requests for Programme staff and partners and make necessary arrangements for travel, accommodation and transport;
- Maintain office files (human resources, finance, payments, meeting minutes, circulars etc.);
- Act as an interpreter when required and/or take minutes;
- Ensure Procurement and management of office supplies, equipment and other materials;
- Represent the Programme at meetings on administrative issues e.g., common premises as required;
- Performance of any other duties as required.
Ensures the production of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other material to SFL contributors focusing on achieving the following results:
- Preparation of relevant information, specifically related to donor reports and financial analysis;
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources and their management in Atlas.
- Provide regular, comprehensive, accurate and comprehensible reporting to the Project Manager to allow her/him to assess progress and allocate resources appropriately to deliver the SFL’s goals.
- Support the Project Manager in monthly and other periodic reports to SFL contributors/donors and to the Board and the general public.
Impact of Results:
The impact of the key results will come through an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of the project operations of the Stabilization Facility for Libya and disseminations of information both to Libyan citizens and to donors. The key results also aim to strengthen the impact of the SFL through greater donor appreciation of its effectiveness, and hence better-informed donor support; strengthen partnership with MOP and Government counterparts; and in resource mobilization.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
Level 2: analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – present goals as shared interests;
- Performance Management – provides constructive feedback to colleagues;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Teamwork – contributes to and follows team objectives;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Strengthen partnership with Mop and government counterparts
- Resilience mobilization.
- Sensitizes SFL partners, donors and other international organizations to the Facility’s strategic agenda
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the project
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 2: Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
BA degree social sciences: - Political Science, International Relations, Linguistics, literature or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- 5 years of relevant work experience of relevant experience
- Experience working with an international organization, UN agency or NGO would be desirable;
- Experience liaising with government authorities, other national institutions and NGOs would be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience working programmes related to Libya is highly desired and Knowledge on capacity development in a crises situation.
Fluency in English required, both written and spoken. Arabic Language is a must.