Technical Coordinator/Task Manager of Component II – (HCFC Re-Use System and Application of ODS Alternatives)
Medium-sized UNDP-GEF Project “Complete HCFC (hydrochlorofluorocarbon) Phase-out in Uzbekistan through Promotion of Zero ODS (ozone depleting substances) Low GWP (global warming potential) Energy Efficient Technologies” is aimed to support the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the implementation of its obligations under the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
Project objective: To accelerate HCFC phase-out to achieve the 2020 compliance objectives and sustainably reduce the servicing tail.
Project brief description: Understanding the implications of the Kigali Amendment, including conducting a comprehensive ODS Alternatives survey; facilitation of implementation of upgraded national legislation on control of import/export and use of HCFCs, other ODS and ODS alternatives; improvement of Customs capacity on import/export control and temporary storage of seized refrigerants; demonstration of zero-ODS and low-GWP energy efficient cooling technologies in various sectors of the economy both private and public ; and completing the upgrading and strengthening of the servicing sector capacity including recovery/recycling/reclamation of refrigerants. The project will also discuss resource mobilization from International Financial Institutions and Bilateral Agencies and local stakeholders to increase the investment to the RAC sector; conduct comprehensive outreach activities to increase understanding of ozone-related issues with a wide cross-section of stakeholders and end users. Gender mainstreaming will also be addressed across various components to involve women in the business of Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning.
Component 1. National legislation and capacity building of customs and enforcement officers on control of HCFC and ODS alternatives import/export.
Component 2. Strengthening the HCFC re-use system and implementation of demonstration projects on HCFC replacement.
Component 3. Outreach and Resource Mobilization.
Component 4. Gender Mainstreaming and Monitoring & Evaluation.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, the Technical Coordinator/Task Manager of Component II provides operational and thematic services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Technical Coordinator/Task Manager of Component II – (HCFC Re-Use System and Application of ODS Alternatives) works in close collaboration with the Government counterparts, project, operations, and Programme’s staff in the UNDP CO to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery and undertake day-to-day responsibility for operational and thematic support services for the satisfactory achievement of the project component outputs.
Duties and Responsibilities
In cooperation with national partners, coordinate and contribute to project activities for strengthening the HCFC re-use system, including:
- establishment new four recycle/recovery and two reclaim centers (RRR centers) by providing technical and consultancy support to the project’s national partners and consultants;
- developiment business and technical plans for RRR centers to ensure their sustainability;
- development a training programme for servicing and maintenance RAC equipment/tools, including handling equipment for recycling and reclaim centers;
- development, launch and maintain of online learning system for RAC sector technicians;
- participation of RAC specialists and technicians in networking meetings and conferences;
- mobilization of national resources/contribution of partners for the timely establishment of RRR centers.
In cooperation with national and international partners, coordinate and contribute to project activities for the demonstration of zero-ODS, low-GWP and energy efficient technologies, including:
- conducting feasibility analysis implementation of zero-ODS, low-GWP and energy efficient technologies within demonstration projects;
- development ToRs for international and national short-term consultants within the implementation of demonstration projects;
- conduct a market research for zero-ODS, low-GWP and energy efficient technologies;
- organize meetings with international/national consultants and national partners/beneficiaries to discuss and develop technical requirements;
- identify safety standards application for implementation of demonstration projects;
- draft the co-sharing agreement and develop contribution of parties’ documents; agreeing drafted documents with implementing partners/beneficiaries;
- mobilization of national resources/contribution of partners for timely implementation of demonstration projects.
In cooperation with national and international partners, coordinate and contribute to project activities for piloting performance monitoring project for reduction of HCFC leakage at large facilities, including:
- conduct a market research for available RAC systems performance monitoring equipment;
- organize meetings with international/national consultants and partners/beneficiaries to discuss and develop technical requirements;
- organize trainings for handling the performance monitoring equipment and collection of required data for monitoring, analysis and improvement;
- mobilizationof national resources/contribution of partners for timely piloting of performance monitoring project.
- Ensure smooth and timely delivery of operational support services in accordance with work plans; analyze potential issues and respond appropriately to ensure timely delivery of agreed inputs. Define cost-effective measures for optimal utilization of resources;
- Ensure required monthly/quarterly/annual reports timely prepared/submitted and all reports consist of gender-disaggregated data;
- Keep fully conversant with ongoing and planned project component activities to facilitate realistic planning of operational support services; work closely with the relevant staff of UNDP office, consult with national partners/beneficiaries to ensure timely and efficient provision of assistance;
- Participate in the planning and development of reports, knowledge materials and other deliverables aimed at enhancing public awareness;
- Plan and implement the work in accordance with the overall work-plan using both human and financial resources available in the most effective/efficient way and ensure compliance with UNDP procedures;
- Perform other duties related to the scope of work of the Technical Coordinator/Task Manager of Component II – (HCFC Re-Use System and Application of ODS Alternatives)as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment, self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team leader and facilitating team work;
- Manages conflict and facilitates an open communication in the team;
- Promotes learning and sharing knowledge and encourages the learning of others;
- Ensures informed and transparent decision making
Communications and Networking
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Demonstrates maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Actively mentoring project staff under her/his supervision;
- Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focus on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge on: 1) private sector development trends, achievements and issues; 2) business plan development and feasibility assessment; 3) gender issues, women and youth entrepreneurship;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor`s degree in any of the following areas: Natural Resources Management, Business Administration, Management, Chemicals or other related areas.
At least 3-year experience in development project implementation with focus on environmental protection, pilot demonstrations;
Knowledge and practical experience in the political, social and environmental factors and issues related to zero ODS, low GWP, energy efficient technologies, climate change mitigation and/or low-carbon development in Central Asia, preferably in Uzbekistan is a strong asset
Working experience in international organizations on project related area is an advantage.
Excellent command of spoken and written English, Uzbek and Russian are essential
Deep knowledge of Montreal Protocol related sphere and its associated Policies and Agreements is desirable;
Initiative and strong leadership skills;
Result and client-orientations;
Strong analytical, communication and management skills;
Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, ability to work in a team and to work under pressure and with tight deadlines, ethics and honesty;
Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource etc.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.