Regional Advisor Elections
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the UNESP Field Operations Specialist, the International UNV Regional Advisor will undertake the following tasks:
- Assumes responsibility for the day to day management of the regional UNESP office, and the supervision of staff;
- Manages other regional/provincial UNESP staff;
- Coordinates with UN agencies and other international agencies/bodies at the regional and provincial level on electoral and security related issues in coordination with the UNESP Regional Security Advisor;
- Provides reports to the UNESP HQ on election activities and administrative issues;
- Provides advice, assistance and support to the IEC/ECC Provincial Electoral Officers on all electoral, and where required, administrative matters;
- Provides timely advice to the IEC/ECC at Provincial level on key activities in the different phases of the election cycle events and operations: finalization of polling centers, movement plans, voting, counting and announcement of results and other related activities;
- Develops planning mechanisms with IEC/ECC counterparts for each phase of the electoral operation;
- Participates in Provincial planning and meetings on electoral operations and election security issues;
- Provide daily advice on reporting, data collection, quality control and the application of universal standards among provincial offices in the conduct of the election and election preparation;
- Advise on the management of the provision of training of IEC field management and staff using best field operation practices.
- Consult with the IEC to review, prepare, and disseminate appropriate policies, procedures, and guidelines for different components of the operations plan at field level;
- Provide advisory support to enable IEC to strengthen its operational capacity and institutional preparedness for conduct of future election events by the field operations and provincial offices.
- Develop and advise on implementation strategies on communication system and procedures;
- Develop and advise on implementation strategies Internal reporting mechanisms between IEC/ECC HQ and regional and provincial offices;
- Coordination and compilation of technical briefs and instructions for distribution to regional and provincial offices, while ensuring contribution from relevant parties;
- Overall coordination and information sharing within the IEC on field operations to ensure effective operations management and planning operations in the field;
- Development of programme and operational reporting frameworks from IEC provincial and regional units, to HQ, to ensure timely flow and documentation of on-going and completed activities, major developments and issues, as well as challenges for immediate management attention.
- The Regional Advisor will work and coordinate closely with the Voter Registration Specialist and Logistics Specialist, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Manage the liaison between the UNDP and IEC/ECC on assessing and developing regional and provincial infrastructure as approved by the IEC/ECC. The Field Operations Specialist will advise the IEC/ECC on establishing and maintaining a sustainable field presence including, communications, facilities and overall long-term sustainability issues;
- Engages in capacity development of IEC/ECC national counterparts and fosters national ownership;
- Focuses on capacity building within the regional IEC/ECC in the conduct of all election cycle events and operations;
- Enhances the capacity of the IEC/ECC staff - with a view to significantly reducing reliance on international experts in administering future elections;
- Enhances the capacity of the IEC/ECC provincial offices to provide effective training/briefings to all IEC/ECC Operations Staff (including full-time and temporary);
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the CTA or STA.
- University Master’s Degree preferably with a focus on preferably in the field of Management, Political Science, International Relations, Electoral Policy, Law, or other related fields, Bachelor’s Degree in the same fields is acceptable.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in field operations, project management in challenging environments, managing staff and operational systems; Well experienced in electoral operations and capacity development of electoral administration.
- Well experienced in electoral operations and capacity development of electoral administration.
- Practical experience in Elections is essential;
- Knowledge of the UN system is desirable and familiarity with UNDP procedures is highly desirable;
- Proven team building and leadership skills;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Communication, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27 January 2020