Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Senior Legal Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assistance in the consecutive and simultaneous interpretation in interviews of witnesses, sources and other individuals from the local language (largely Kurmanji) into the required official UN Language (English) and vice versa, whilst ensuring that the quality of the interpretation is adequate, respectful to the person interviewed, and is in compliance with best international practice.
- Assistance in the interpretation in meetings with local authorities, NGOs and other persons/organizations of interest from the local language (largely Kurmanji/Badini/Arabic) into the required official UN Language (English) and vice versa, whilst ensuring that the quality of the interpretation is adequate, respectful to the organization/persons interviewed, and is in compliance with best international practice.
- Provides clear and concise verbal communication/interpretation, interfacing between mission officials and local population in support of operations and wider mission activities.
- Where the need arises, assistance in the translation of documents (prior witness statements, case files, other documents of interest to the Sinjar investigations) from the local language (largely Kurmanji/Badini/Arabic) into the required official UN Language (English) and vice versa, whilst ensuring that deadlines are met, and the quality of translation is adequate.
- Keeps track of his/her translations of documents and maintains copies of the translated materials.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
The selected candidate will largely deal with vulnerable witnesses of the Yazidi community, including female survivors of sexual and gender-based violence and children. Given the sensitivity of the subject matter, it is important that the selected candidate makes the witnesses feel comfortable during the interview and engages with them in a gentle but neutral manner. As some female survivors may prefer to open up in the presence of a female interpreter, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
A university degree or the equivalent thereof in the field of languages is required.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the field of interpretation and/or translation is required.
- Experience in dealing with vulnerable groups, such as victims of sexual violence and traumatized children and adults, is desirable. Field experience and/or experience with working with victims in conflict-affected settings is an asset.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Kurdish(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- English (Mandatory), Level – Fluent;
- Kurmanji (Mandatory), Level – Fluent;
- And One of these - Arabic, Badini, Sorani, Level - Working Knowledge is desirable.Driving license: No Application procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 21 January 2020