Programme Officer-Climate Change, SID-CHT Project
- Supporting rural communities and institutions in the CHT to conduct site-specific Community Climate Vulnerability Assessments (CCVAs) and prepare Local Resilience Plans (LRPs),
- Supporting them to undertake priority actions in identified micro and small-watersheds with particular emphasis on community resource management of forests, conserving the watersheds including forests and their associated watersheds, and diversification of resilient livelihoods with focus on improved natural resources-based income generating opportunities, and
- Developing capacity of the CHT institutions, leaders and community people so that they are able to fully discharge the expected planning, field implementation and other responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Officer Climate Change, based in Rangamati with frequent travels to all 3 districts of CHT, will be a key member of the Livelihood and NRM Unit of the project and under direct supervision of the Chief, Livelihoods and NRM, and closely working with the Chief Technical Specialist, including Programme Officer-M&E, Programme Officer-Livelihoods and other team members The incumbent will be responsible for planning, designing and implementing CCRP activities and playing vital role in SID-CHT project when related to Climate Change issues.. The project is being implemented in 10 Upazilas (sub-district) of 3 hill districts covering over 100 communities in 20 selected geographical areas (Approx. 10,000 population) who are more vulnerable due to climate change impacts.
- Lead Climate Change Assessments, Planning, Budgeting, Field Implementation, Monitoring and Coordination;
- Climate Change Analyses, Evaluation and Reporting;
- Capacity Building on Climate Change;
- Any other functions and duties as assigned by SID-CHT management.
- Closely work with other team members in preparing annual work plans and field implementation guidelines, and achieve results with respect to climate change issues under different projects/components;
- In consultation with other Programme Officers, design and develop climate change vulnerability assessments and plans, activity implementation with necessary guidelines (implementation modalities) and budgets on climate change related issues;
- Coordinate with Hill District Councils (HDCs), partner NGOs and other stakeholders in relation to programme planning and field implementation on climate change;
- Develop and implement effective assessments and planning tools / formats relevant to climate change issues and indicators;
- Monitor project field activities, inputs, outputs, effects and impact of the project with respect to climate change issues;
- Monitor the progress of planned activities and budget;
- Conduct field visits for monitoring field implementation of climate change related activities and results regularly.
- Design appropriate formats for the project staffs for climate change related field activities, collect and analyze field information and provide necessary feedbacks to field teams;
- Design and manage climate change surveys for assessing capacity/performance of the concerned institutions and targeted beneficiaries;
- Work with partners (PNGOs, HDCs, others) to ensure the collection and use of relevant data for effective field implementation of climate change resilient activities ;
- Conduct field visits regularly and prepare field visit reports on climate change issues;
- Prepare regular evaluation and presentations on climate change to program/cluster management;
- Capture lessons learned/good practices on climate change resilient and disseminate as appropriate;
- Design necessary tools and techniques for capturing successful cases on climate change resilient related successes;
- Produce reports on issues related to climate change resilient activities.
- Guide the SID-CHT district teams, PNGOs, HDCs and other stakeholders in developing realistic climate change assessments, plans and field implementation;
- Develop awareness raising materials on Climate Change and Environment related issues (CHT specific);
- Organize and conduct need-based training on climate change planning and field implementation for project staffs;
- Support field staff and partner organisations in preparation of reports on findings and lessons learned from project interventions on climate change resilient activities;
- Facilitate capacity building for implementing partners to enable them in implementing, monitor and evaluate their own climate change activities and issues, gather relevant data and produce required reports;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the SID-CHT management related to the project.
- S/he will review different documents (from primary and secondary sources) relevant to environment and climate change in the CHT, it’s impacts on livelihoods and community-based adaptation. S/he will prepare report on current and future climate and environmental risks and mitigation strategies;
- S/he will, in team effort, support to organize different consultative workshops on CHT environmental issues and climate change impacts (current and future) to endorse or validate the findings where s/he will be key facilitator as technical expert;
- S/he will work with the Livelihoods and Natural Resource Management team in preparing different tools, guidelines which will be required during implementation of the CCRP project;
- S/he will prepare training materials/modules on CHT environment and climate change issues and community-based adaptation strategies;
- S/he will develop Community Climate Vulnerability Assessment tools, guidelines including Local Resilience Plans through field tests at community level;
- Provide ToT to the project staff on climate change issues, adaptation, watersheds management, risks assessment and planning, community climate vulnerability assessment, local resilience plans, etc.;
- S/he will provide technical guidance to the project staffs while they conduct Community Climate Vulnerability Assessments and develop Local Resilience Plans;
- S/he will support to prepare/develop different awareness raising materials (poster, festoons, leaflets etc.) on (a) current and future climate and environmental risks, (b) climate change issues and CBA, (c) on integrated planning and management of common use of water and natural resources and actions at community level;
- Organize skill development training (e.g. soil & water conservation, rain water harvesting, land use planning etc.) involving relevant technical institutions/organization/resource persons;
- S/he will attend different coordination meetings and provide technical input in the discussions;
- Organize workshops on experience sharing and lessons learning at Upazila and District level with relevant stakeholders;
- Support to organize national level workshops on policy advocacy issues on the CHT (environment, NRM, climate change issues).
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Very good knowledge on the integrated community development approach;
- Excellent knowledge on climate change resilient system designing, project monitoring and evaluation in Bangladesh;
- Familiar with participatory approaches like PRA, PM&E;
- Very good knowledge on Logical Framework;
- Skills on data collection, processing and analysis and high quality reports;
- Ability to organize and facilitate training and workshop activities;
- Ability to travel to the remote places and multi-cultural areas, and stay in the CHT;
- Familiarity with research and scientific data collection methods;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Advance level of skills on computer and IT applications and services;
- Focuses on impacts and results;
- Leads the teams effectively towards achieving the objectives;
- Builds strong relationship with the working partners and stakeholders;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in Environmental Management/Studies/Science or Climate Change and Disaster Management from any reputed University.
- At least 3 (three) years of relevant working experience on handling climate change programmes, preferably in an integrated development project.
- Have extensive experience in designing climate change plans and projects, tools, assessments and strategies.
- Experience in climate change data collection, survey and assessments, analysis and planning, and production of reports.
- Demonstrated ability in the design of climate change methods and strategies to produce, analyze data, use and share information with a variety of actors in different environments.
- Demonstrated ability of high-quality report writing with state-of-the-art graphs, charts etc.
- Proven experiences in developing training materials including awareness raising materials on climate change and environment related issues.
- Practical working experience in development and natural resource management projects in hilly regions will be an added advantage.
- Working experience in CHT and/ or good understanding of CHT situation desirable.
- Excellent skill in English and Bangla;
- Computer literacy is essential particularly Bangla typing skill is a must.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.