Web & Digital Media Associate
New York City (United States of America)
In line with UNDP’s corporate guidelines for management of online presence including website maintenance and social media platforms, the Regional Bureau for Arab States manages its external website as its principal vehicle for providing up-to-date information and news relevant to its work in the region to a wide range of external clients.
Managed within UNDP’s corporate template and content management system, the RBAS external website serves as a bilingual (Arabic & English) “portal” providing integrated information, content and knowledge services on all aspects of regional work and activities. It also serves as the backbone for all social media based communication on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flicker, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Since the launch of its current iteration in 2012, the RBAS website and associated social media accounts have grown organically and have been managed through intermittently engaging individual contractors on ad-hoc contractual arrangements, through a combination of office-based and later home-based engagements, overseen by the Regional Communication Advisor for Arab States, based in UNDP’s Amman Hub.
The online presence of RBAS is an essential part of the bureau’s overall outreach effort. Considering the continuing demand for keeping this presence up to date, expanding its outreach and rendering its engagement more strategic, there is a need to hire a Web and Digital Media Associate.
The Web and Digital Media Associate will work under the supervision of the Regional Communications Advisor for Arab States.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Regional Communications Advisor for Arab States, the Web and Digital Media Associate primarily develops online information and services that help UNDP-RBAS stakeholders increase their awareness, knowledge and understanding of UNDP’s policy, advocacy and thought leadership work and initiatives in RBAS and their results.
S/he contributes towards the development of communications strategies and specific initiatives with an emphasis on online content, enhances the visibility of UNDP-RBAS and increases its impact.
Under the overall editorial responsibility and guidance of the Regional Communications Advisor for Arab States, the Web and Digital Media Associate will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Develop and execute an overall content strategy for the online presence of RBAS, ensuring seamless convergence between the RBAS website as the principal content repository and social media platforms.
- Maintain an editorial calendar for RBAS online content, including website and social media content, in consultation/coordination with RBAS Directorate (including CO support Desk) in NY; the Regional Hub in Amman; projects under the Regional Programme; and RBAS COs.
- Regularly review websites and social media platforms of country offices (CO) in RBAS for corporate compliance and for providing support and advice on web production best practices. Also. monitor CO content updates—collecting and publishing, as appropriate, CO data, content, photos, videos on the RBAS website and social media platforms.
- Keep regular contact with the Online & Digital Communication team in UNDP HQ, responding to their queries and collecting and sending information required on RBAS and CO online presence. Disseminate materials related to corporate campaigns to COs in RBAS, providing translations into Arabic, when necessary and feasible. Also, liaise with HQ on testing design and user experience in Arabic.
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of RBAS online communications platforms, employing corporate approach to online analytics and tools used for such purposes.
- Provide online communication support for key events and meetings, including featuring related materials on the website and social media platforms, including live streaming and live posting, where appropriate.
RBAS Regional Website Management (both English and Arabic versions – fully mirrored where possible)
- Regularly review RBAS website design and functionality; makes recommendations to improve design and functionality and ensure quality implementation. Ensure that information on the RBAS web site is presented in an attractive and easily accessible way.
- Prepare, write, edit and regularly update on the RBAS website, content for all corporately required pages (e.g., Project, Event, Publication and News pages, including press releases, stories, speeches and opinion articles) for key RBAS activities, initiatives and events, in accordance with corporate template, which is regularly evolving with the #NextGenUNDP.
- Manipulate and upload photos, videos, documents on the digital assets to be used in the Arabic & English pages.
- Create, maintain and update special visibility pages for UNDP RBAS key partners/donors, highlighting key areas of partnership and collecting and collating work and results covered under those specific partnerships.
- Research, generate and link to RBAS website photo-based stories and posting them on Medium and Exposure platforms related to key events and issues, and as relevant to UNDP-led global campaigns;
Management of RBAS Regional Social Media Platforms
- Design and manage campaigns on the RBAS social media platforms related to key corporate and RBAS events and issues;
- Generate, translate and post content on RBAS Twitter account @UNDPArabic (Arabic and English), related to key RBAS events and issues, and as relevant to UNDP-led global campaigns.
- Research, generate and edit content, including pictogram (photos and captions), infographics and short info-videos, to post on Facebook related to key events and issues, and as relevant to UNDP-led global campaigns;
- Create, catalogue and organize in an attractive and easily accessible way video libraries/playlists on RBAS YouTube channel, based on videos materials (including animated infographics) obtained through the RBAS CO and regional projects focal points.
- Create and organize, in an attractive and easily accessible way, visual assets archive on Flicker and Instagram, based on still visual materials (e.g., photos, and infographics/pictogram cards) obtained through the RBAS CO and regional projects focal points. All still visual assets to be categorized around UNDP signature solutions and must be compliant with UNDP meta-data requirements.
- Expand reach of UNDP Arab States LinkedIn presence, reaching out to stakeholders and professional networks of key importance to UNDP in the Arab region and disseminating UNDP knowledge, perspectives and opportunities and tapping into the same from relevant external stakeholders.
• Demonstrate integrity and fairness, by modeling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards.
• Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
• Research best practices and propose new, more effective ways of doing things.
• Strong analytical, negotiation and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality content.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
• Strong communication skills with the ability to write clearly and compellingly in Arabic and English.
• Demonstrate good command of online content management and related ICT knowledge and skills and apply them in work assignments. Expertise with HTML and content-management systems.
• Strong analytical and research skills, including the ability to analyze audiences, attitudes, communication products and messages and to integrate them into online platforms.
• Understand the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
• Possess basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and apply them consistently in work tasks.
• Ability to set and juggle priorities and deadlines and perform well under pressure.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
• Demonstrate ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
• Ability to use information/databases/other management systems.
• Report to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion.
• Organize and prioritize work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
• Respond to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
• Gather/disseminate information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Business Communication, New Media, International Affairs or other related field of study.
• At least five (5) years of relevant experience in online content development, maintenance and management, preferably with Adobe Experience Manager.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
• Knowledge of Social Media platforms; especially Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Flicker and Instagram.
• Prior experience in international development and Knowledge of the mandate and work of UNDP, desirable.
Proficiency in both Arabic and English is required (reading, writing, speaking and comprehension). Knowledge of French is strongly desired.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.