The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Department under CSP (Corporate Services Program).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support Contract Life Cycle Management, which consists of drafting, review, negotiation, amendment, release, quality control, management, and archiving of all types of contracts and agreements entered into by CIMMYT with national and international (private and public) entities.
- Research and analyze treaties, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures from a variety of legal areas and jurisdictions where CIMMYT operates to ensure its compliance.
- Support the development of legal strategies concerning the implementation of institutional activities.
- Prepare educational materials related to institutional policies and procedures for staff and external stakeholders, and keep informed on changes to these policies and procedures at the national and international levels.
- Suggest and provide support for the implementation of continuous improvement of Contract Life Cycle process, including but not limited to automation of processes, creation of templates, optimization of policies and legal service processes, and guidelines to optimize processes for legal services and activities.
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these matters daily in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used in the preparation in the progress update to the relevant areas.
- Represent CIMMYT before different Government Agencies in Mexico.
- Provide advice on diverse legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, notes, letters, memoranda, and other legal documents.
- Support the management of the curation of the database of CIMMYT agreements and other documents at Headquarters and Regional Offices; maintain a high level of support for stakeholders requiring input, search, and update data and information.
- Manage and track a high volume of tasks and projects.
- Maintain the assigned Contracts and Transactions calendar with meetings, filings, and reports required by stakeholders; follow-up with contributors to meet established deadlines; maintain related documentation.
- Support preparation of assigned Contracts and Transactions reports.
- Draft legal correspondence, memos, and other documents as necessary.
- Prepare, manage, organize, and maintain Contracts and Transactions related records.
- Establish a database of Contracts and Transactions contractual commitments and restrictions; manage database search function.
- Record minutes and other meetings related to Contracts and Transactions;
- Provide other support as required and perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law; Master’s Degree in Law related area is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years’ proven experience in corporate law, commercial/contract law in either a company or legal firm and knowledge of Intellectual Property registration and licensing.
- Additional experience or knowledge in areas related to agriculture research and development in the private and/or public sectors is an advantage.
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts in plain manner to lay (non-legal) stakeholders.
- Proficient computer skills (at a minimum: Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat) and willingness to learn/master other programs and software as necessary.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish. English will be tested, and candidates should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his/her responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Time Management, Flexibility/Adaptability, Customer Orientation, Proactivity, Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Problem-Solving, and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M20113 Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, February 4, 2020. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.