Snr Evaluation Off- Operations
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Evaluation Officer - Operations
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Evaluation Officer-Operations (P4) position is in a UNHCR Regional Bureau. Working under the overall leadership of the Senior Evaluation Coordinator, the position will complement existing HQ evaluation capacity to lead on planning and delivery of decentralised evaluations with UNHCR Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues (including the development of evaluation ToRs, procurement and contract management of evaluation services, and providing quality assurance of evaluation deliverables). The incumbent directly participates in decentralised evaluation processes at the Regional Office and Country Operation-level as relevant and required. S/he supports the design and delivery of UNHCR evaluation-related capacity building efforts to UNHCR Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues. S/he also supports the Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues to identify key evidence gaps and priorities, and develop appropriate evaluative strategies and plans to address these.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the HQ Evaluation Service in establishing strengthened evaluation policies and procedures, including the refinement of existing evaluation approaches and development of new innovative and forward-looking evaluation approaches and methodologies.
- Enhance the technical aspects (both quantitative and qualitative) of decentralised evaluations commissioned by UNHCR are improved through expert advice and guidance.
- Provide evaluation-related coaching and mentoring, as required.
- Ensure that institutional knowledge, understanding and 'culture' of evaluation is strengthened.
- Manage or co-manage decentralised evaluations at the Regional and Country Operation-level, and provide quality assurance to evaluation methodologies and deliverables.
- Interact with appropriate UNHCR entities with respect to the design, commissioning and management of the evaluation cycle.
- Lead and participate in the selection and procurement of quality evaluation services (evaluation firms and individual consultants) and participate in the selection of qualified internal (UNHCR staff) evaluation team members when appropriate.
- Deploy on scoping missions to build stakeholder support, develop and draft evaluation `Terms of Reference¿ (ToR), including defining key evaluation questions, as required. Oversee the successful completion of evaluations and reviews.
- Work with Evaluation Service colleagues to design and develop evaluation-related training modules and materials, and deploy to facilitate evaluation-related awareness raising, training and/or capacity building sessions as required.
- Develop networks and associations with other evaluation communities to enhance internal knowledge management and expertise.
- Under the guidance of the Head of ES, represent UNHCR at external meetings on evaluation
- Provide appropriate instructions and guidance to contractors, consultants, and experts commissioned to undertake ES evaluation work.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Social Sciences; Economics; International Development Public Policy;
or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Research & Evaluation Methods
Relevant Job Experience
Demonstrable experience and knowledge of humanitarian response and coordination, ideally specifically related to refugee response. Demonstrable expertise of evaluation norms and standards. At least 5 years applied research or M&E related experience in field contexts, ideally including in refugee response contexts. Good knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research and evaluation methods/approaches, statistics, data collection tools and analytical approaches. Experience of leading and managing evaluation processes, including ideally managing multi-disciplinary teams with variable evaluation experience. Experience of working with and influencing senior decision makers, including in delivering challenging, or potentially contested, key messages. Experience in developing and/or delivering M&E or evaluation-related capacity building content. Experience of building effective working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Substantial experience in a humanitarian or development context. Experience of conveying complex information clearly and compellingly through the use of visual media for a range of audiences (i.e. using data visualisation tools).
Demonstrable institutional knowledge of the UN, and in particular of UNHCR¿s protection mandate and operational role.
MS-Data Collection and Analysis;
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
PO-Development/Evaluation of Humanitarian Operations;
PO-Policy Development, Evaluation, Research, Publication;
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and another UN Language. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum 4 to the September 2019 Compendium is Thursday 13 February 2020 (midnight Geneva time)