Snr Risk Mgmt & Compliance Off - Supply Chain
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The incumbent will be part of a network of Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will collaborate with the Chief Risk Officer and this network to ensure strengthening of risk culture across UNHCR. Special attention is paid to coherence, identification of systemic issues requiring a corporate-wide response, and sharing of good risk management practices and lessons learnt.
The incumbent shall engage with internal stakeholders, including with the Bureau and HQ, as appropriate, to align reforms and initiatives. As directed by their supervisor, the incumbent shall also engage with external stakeholders including Government offices, partners, donors, and (for in-situ posts) contractors and refugee/host communities, to maximize collective efforts to manage risk, and strengthen compliance and the quality of services provided to persons of concern.
For in-situ positions, the incumbent will be in the first line of defence, supporting the Operation in compliance and risk management. S/he shall review the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities within the Operation, make recommendations as appropriate, and assist management in their implementation. For regional positions the incumbent will support the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in coordinating operations within their region in matters related to risk, compliance and oversight, as part of the second line of defence. S/he will assess the adequacy of risk management within the Operations and provide advice, guidance and practical support.
The incumbent may manage relevant personnel/functions relating to risk management. S/he reports directly to the Deputy/Assistant Representative in the Field or to the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in a Bureau, with a functional reporting line to ERM Unit with the exception of roving officers who will report to the Chief Risk Officer.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Advise and support the Operation/Bureau on risk management, compliance, and oversight matters, assisting them in discharging their responsibilities and accountabilities to manage risks comply with policies and procedures.
- Ensure risk management, ethical and integrity considerations are integrated into decision making, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities in the Operation(s)/Bureau under the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Promote collaboration of different functions within the operation/Bureau/divisions to address cross cutting risks and issues.
- Support the Operation/Bureau in the implementation of oversight recommendations to improve risk management, compliance and quality of outputs.
- Work with internal and external oversight entities, develop and implement procedures to collect relevant data and efficiently track and report specific issues, trends and cross-cutting matters representing a high risk to the Operation(s) under AoR.
- Prepare or review and input to management reports to external stakeholders.
- With assistance from and in coordination with the ERM Unit, Global Learning Centre, and other Headquarter Services, as required, train UNHCR teams and partners to raise awareness of and skills in risk management, and to strengthen the culture of integrity and accountability.
- Promote and disseminate policies, good-practices and guidance on risk management in the operation/region. Provide field based support and guidance jointly with Headquarters for corporate risk management developments and initiatives.
- Provide regular updates to the Deputy/Assistant Representative or Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor on matters related to risk, compliance and quality, including on emerging risks and opportunities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
In-situ posts only
- Coordinate and facilitate the risk review exercises with functional experts and management to agree on the corporate risk register, and appropriate risk responses; facilitate, monitor and report on the implementation of agreed responses.
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. In coordination with the Bureau and HQ, identify lessons learnt and root cause(s) of recurring systemic issues in the Operation. Prepare summary reports, with recommendations, on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies/procedures.
- Monitor compliance against policies and procedures, advise management of areas of non-compliance and identify the root cause of this and appropriate corrective actions.
- In consultation with the Chief Risk Officer, assess the methodology, tools and practices related to the implementation of risk management activities in the Operation to strengthen integrity identify root causes of risks, and propose mitigating measures with a focus on prevention.
Bureau posts only
- Support the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in coordinating and quality assuring the risk review exercise in the operations under the AoR, monitoring that appropriate action is taken to mitigate the identified risks.
- Contribute to the implementation of the cross-functional risk-based regional oversight monitoring plans of operations under AoR through missions and desk reviews.
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. Produce a regional risk report on a regular basis, summarizing key oversight themes and using risk information (e.g. metrics, risk indicators, incidents) to highlight the highest risks at the regional level, identify lessons learnt and root causes. Recommend improvements and enhancements on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies / procedures.
- Conduct risk-based monitoring and support missions to countries under their AoR to assess the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities - report back to the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in order to help improve enterprise wide risk management methodologies, tools and practices.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; International Affairs; Political Science; Risk Management;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Risk Managementt Basics & ERM Programme;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 6 years of experience in positions involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance and quality of results.
- Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks.
- Experience in quality assurance and compliance monitoring.
- Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Strong skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time.
- Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
- Good working knowledge of UNHCR¿s mandate, field operations, organizational structure, and policies & procedures.
- Certification in risk management.
MG- Risk Management
MS-Data Collection and Analysis
MS-Provide support, advice, and guidance in the relevant field
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum 4 to the September 2019 Compendium is Thursday 13 February 2020 (midnight Geneva time)