Mid-level Evaluation Expert – Mid-Term Evaluation of the IDLO Mexico Project "Supporting Rule of Law: Strengthening Security Sector Capacity to Consolidate Criminal Justice System Reform”
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The purpose of this evaluation is to assess the IDLO’s Criminal Justice project in Mexico against its stated outcomes as of March 2020. Within this framework, the evaluation will:
- Provide an independent assessment of the project to measure the extent to which the expected results have been achieved so far in quantity and quality as well as usefulness and timeliness. The evaluation will be conducted at both activity and output levels providing insights towards outcomes and impact prospects, where possible; and
- Make recommendations, if relevant, to adjust / improve project, implementation in itinere towards the achievement of expected results and the contribution to project outcomes, potential impact and sustainability.
The incumbent will report to the Evaluation Unit and Director of Policy, Research and Learning under a day-to-day supervision of the Evaluation Specialist and will be expected to carry out the following key duties in line with the detailed evaluation Terms of Reference ((Link)):
- Assist in conducting an in-depth desk review of relevant mexican national strategies, and project documents and reports;
- As per team leader’s instructions, support the data collection and validation. Where required, the incumbent will participate in and/or conduct FGDs and interviews, and will collaborate to ensure data are collected in line with the agreed methodology; and
- At the request of the team leader, provide support and inputs for the preparation of the evaluation deliverables.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Advanced university degree in Evaluation, Social Sciences, Political Science, International Development, Law or related field.
- At least five years’ experience in co-conducting development assistance evaluations of programs or initiatives with focus on good governance / rule of law.
- Professional experience with Project Cycle Management and Logical Framework approaches.
- An understanding of the mexican legal context would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish is required.
- Basic knowledge of evaluation methodology for development assistance projects and programs with specific experience in evaluation methods and tools.
- Experience with developing qualitative and quantitative (proxy) indicators.
- Experience with survey techniques, focus groups and other participatory methods.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection methods.
- Sound analytical, writing and editing skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The consultancy is expected to start in February 2020. The inception note is expected by early March 2020, and the draft evaluation report is expected tentatively by mid-April 2020. This is a results-based assignment where payments are made upon satisfactory production of evaluation deliverables. The estimated number of workdays for the assignment is 25 workdays for the Mid-level Evaluation Expert. This includes approximately 15 working days for the data collection field mission in Mexico.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested applicants are encouraged to submit their Resume and Cover Letter.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline is 13th February 2020 (23.59 Hrs. Rome time)