Data Analysis Specialist - Beirut (Lebanon) or Amman (Jordan)
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps' has developed a Crisis Analytics function to support our programming in the most complex contexts, including Syria, Libya, Democratic Republic of Congo and others. The Humanitarian Access Team, (HAT) supports Mercy Corps' in-country programming as well as the wider humanitarian response in the region through the provision of quality, timely and relevant analytical products.
Mercy Corps' crisis analytics teams aggregate and analyse data to improve decision making and access in complex crises. The teams directly contribute to data-driven decision making by layering information from primary sources, open sources and responders' programmatic data, and combining it with analysis by subject matter experts. This analysis is grounded in Mercy Corps' status as an operational NGO, keeping our products constructive and relevant for humanitarian responders and donors within a given crisis. The HAT also serves as a real-time information hub; vets potential partners; assesses programmatic, partner, and operational risk; identifies and maps stakeholders; and works with internal partners to better enable data-driven decision making.
Written HAT products range from daily updates during high-intensity periods, to regular weekly country summaries, to in-depth thematic reports and scenario planning.
General Position Summary
The Data Analysis Specialist will work in a dynamic team with individuals passionate about supporting the humanitarian response in the region. The team is principally located in Amman, Jordan and Beirut, Lebanon.
Syria is a data-rich environment, but most organisations struggle to take full advantage of this data to improve programming decisions and contextual understanding. Till now the HAT's products have been dominated by qualitative sources, and we are looking for someone who can lead on integrating quantitative data throughout our workflow and products.
The Data Analysis Specialist will work closely with the all-source and contextual analysts within the team, supporting them to enhance products with data-driven insights. They will also be given the freedom to develop their own innovative data-led products that ask new questions of, and give better answers to, key decision makers responding to the crisis.
They will work closely with Mercy Corps' own Information Management Unit to support the design of quantitative methodologies for large scale assessments, and they will build networks with external stakeholders to gain access to sources of valuable data.
In this role, the Data Analysis Specialist will contribute to Mercy Corps' partnership with AWS to pilot and scale up projects utilizing cloud, artificial intelligence technology and data analytics for the purposes of increasing the capacity of Crisis Analysis Teams to conduct quantitative and geospatial analysis. The AWS project is a three-year initiative kicking off at the beginning of 2020.
We are looking for someone who complements these abilities with an existing interest in international development and the Middle East.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead on elaborating descriptive and predictive analyses of aggregated datasets (including social media) as per HAT priorities.
- Map external and internal data sources and develop appropriate ETL processes.
- Identify appropriate use cases of AWS technologies, then coordinate with T4D to pilot and scale up.
- Assist HAT analysts in the interpretation and presentation of data for HAT products
- Work closely with the team's geospatial focal point to build and maintain dashboards hosted on the external website
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps PAQ (Program Performance and Quality) team on new research and surveys; contribute to the design of the methodology for surveys and other assessments; support the design of tools.
- Participate in technical working groups related to IM and statistical methodologies for data collection and representation
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders as directed to increase understanding of audience needs
- Contribute to reports to donors on outputs of the HAT
- Contribute to proposal development for new funding opportunities
- Work to ensure that solutions implemented are documented and replicable by other teams in Mercy Corps.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: HAT Director
Works Directly With: HAT Analysts, AWS working group, Technology for Development, Syria PAQ, global Crisis Analytics team
Knowledge and Experience
- Qualifications in a relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in innovative approaches to data analysis and presentation
- Understanding of the drivers of conflict and humanitarian need in the Middle East
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis, and ability to set up data workflows
- Experience producing written analysis to complement data-driven insights
- Experience using a data analysis language, such as R (or willingness to learn)
- Experience in project management and workflows
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Experience working in the Middle East
- Excellent written English- Arabic is a plus.
This position will play a key role in increasing the quality and impact of our work in the region, and expanding the capacity of the wider Crisis Analytics community of practice in Mercy Corps to better use data.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Lebanon or Jordan. It is accompanied and individual housing is provided. It requires some travel across the region.
Up to 20% international travel may be required.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.