CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING SPECIALIST
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST - VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT:** 2000287
Job Posting: 29/Jan/2020
Closure Date: 28/Feb/2020, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: PSE
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration: Up to11 months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Emergency and Resilience Division (PSE) is responsible for ensuring FAO’s efforts to support countries and partners in preparing for and effectively responding to food and agricultural threats and crises. It is responsible for coordinating the development and maintenance of corporate tools and standards to enable Decentralized Offices to assist member countries to prepare for, and respond to emergencies. PSE ensures humanitarian policy coordination and knowledge, liaison with the Inter-Agency Standing Committee as well as with humanitarian resource partners, co-leadership with World Food Programme of the global Food Security Cluster, organizational preparedness, surge capacity and response to large-scale emergencies. PSE supports food and nutrition security assessment and early warning activities related to emergency and humanitarian analysis and responses. PSE plays a major role in the development and leadership of the Organization’s programme to increase the resilience of livelihoods to food and agriculture threats and crises (SO5).
Under the general oversight of the Director, Emergency and Resilience Division and the direct supervision of the Programming and Outreach Team Leader, the consultant will work in close collaboration with the various experts of the division, in particular in the preparedness group.
The consultant will contribute to strengthening emergency response capacities of FAO personnel through the design and delivery of participatory learning packages, to address the four pillars of FAO Strategic Programme 5 (SP5) “Increase the resilience of livelihoods to threats and crises”. More specifically, the consultant will work with other PSE capacity development personnel and subject matter specialists to design and structure a series of field-level training events for FAO personnel to strengthen capacity in the essential functions of emergency preparedness and response, ensuring principles of adult and participatory learning are applied, innovative techniques used, blended approaches introduced. The Organisation is already engaged in the use of contemporary methods for development and delivery of interactive, largely simulation-based trainings focused on emergency response preparedness. The consultants will join a team committed to training approaches that build on internal FAO expertise by developing the skills of internal facilitators to lead self-directed learning, peer-to-peer reflection and self-assessment.
Tasks and responsibilities
Two roles are being sought under this vacancy; the first role is at a strategic level of training design and development; the second is focused on implementation of trainings.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Training Design and Development:
- Leads overall design process for development of trainings modules, including table-top simulation exercises (multi-country, single-country, internal and multi-agency/partner)
- Develops learning objectives framework, capacity needs assessment to inform design of training based on competencies and identified needs
- Advises on most relevant and appropriate didactic approach for a range of training needs, matched to learning objectives
- Leads design process for new trainings across a range of formats.
- Formulates impact measurement framework to be built into design and delivery of training and capacity development initiatives
- Manages training delivery process including scheduling, liaison with FAO field offices, planning and logistics, facilitation team selection and briefing
- Co-leads delivery of range of trainings
- Oversees development of simulation scripts and injects packages
- Manages table-top simulation exercises
- Ensures metrics for trainings are gathered, analyzed and presented
- Develops or refines internal process guidance related to simulations and other training formats
- Engages with relevant internal and external stakeholders to identify new trainings needs and opportunities
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in a subject related to the work of the Organization;
- For consultancy at category A: at least 12 years of professional experience in leading and developing training events for international organizations operating in humanitarian and/or development contexts with specific experience in developing organizational normative guidance and designing processes related to emergency preparedness and response;
- For the consultancy at category B: at least 5 years of professional experience in emergency preparedness and response programming/operations, systems and tools with a focus on strengthening institutional, team and individual capacities to prepare to respond to emergencies, including developing normative guidance and linking these to identifying training needs, design and delivery; experience in field-level development of teams and capacities in emergency contexts;
- For the consultancy at category C: at least 1 year of professional experience in emergency preparedness and response programming/operations, systems and tools with a focus on strengthening institutional, team and individual capacities to prepare to respond to emergencies, including developing normative guidance and linking these to identifying training needs, design and delivery; experience in field-level development of teams and capacities in emergency contexts;
- Working knowledge (level C) of English or French and limited knowledge (level B) of any other official language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, Spanish or Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in developing and running simulation-based trainings in humanitarian contexts.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring approaches.
- Practical experience in developing humanitarian team capacities in resource-limited contexts.
- Work experience in instructional design (assessing training needs, writing training/learning objectives, designing training, running table-top simulations, evaluating training, assessing participant learning).
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate multi-day trainings with large multi-cultural groups.
- Experience with peer to peer learning and self-assessment.
- Work experience with an international humanitarian or development organization.
- Experience designing and delivering field programmes is desirable.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver outputs by agreed deadlines, sometimes at very short notice.
- Ability to establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT