Livelihoods and Cash Project Officer-Agriculture (National Position) Re-Advertisement
NRC in Iraq
Iraq, with a long history of displacement, has seen an unprecedented rise in recent years. Of the more than 5.8 million Iraqis who fled their homes since 2014, two million remain displaced. Over four million Iraqis have returned to their area of origin. Many Iraqis have returned to areas that lack basic infrastructure, utility services and livelihood opportunities, or where explosive devices have not been cleared. Other challenges include: lack of security, community rejection, housing, property and civil documentation issues and lack of educational opportunities.
The UN estimates that more than 8 million Iraqis will need assistance in 2019, and 3.2 million children attend schools irregularly or not at all. Humanitarian agencies are asking for 569 million USD to deliver basic assistance to Iraqis (HRP 2019). With military operations against IS group having ended, the Iraqi government faces new challenges to ensure an inclusive reconstruction and reconciliation that will sustain peace.Since 2010,NRC Iraq has been assisting internally displaced Iraqis, Syrian refugees, and host communities in Ninewa, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk, Basra and Anbar.
We focus on assisting the newly displaced, those in lengthy displacement in camps and those in hard-to-reach places. In 2018, NRC scaled-up programmes across Iraq to respond to the large-scale displacements and returns, especially in Anbar governorate, around Kirkuk and in Ninewa using our water and sanitation, education, camp management, legal assistance, livelihoods, camp management, and cash activities.
Livelihoods and Cash Project Officer-Agriculture (National Position)
The purpose of the officer position is to ensure day to day implementation of agricultural and other livelihoods and cash project activities for NRC’s South and central office, covering Anbar governorate as well as any other governorates within South and central Iraq that NRC will expand its operation. The role includes contributing to specific technical livelihoods programme components.The purpose of the officer position is to ensure day to day implementation of agricultural and other livelihoods and cash project activities for NRC’s South and central office, covering Anbar governorate as well as any other governorates within South and central Iraq that NRC will expand its operation. The role includes contributing to specific technical livelihoods programme components.
Role and responsibilities
Leading field teams (assistants and incentive workers) in implementing agricultural and cash for work activity streams as per donor guidelines and agreed standard operating procedures.
- Plan and organize Agricultural inputs and CFW tools distribution to the beneficiaries.
- Lead the capacity assessment of agro-dealers to participate in voucher program and organize agricultural input fairs as well as monitor voucher redemption process with the livelihood assistants.
- Develop beneficiary Agricultural training schedules based on the farming cycle in consultation with the livelihoods coordinator and beneficiaries and share the training plans with farmer groups and farmer field school facilitators.
- Coordinate with government extension workers and individuals provided with ToT to implement the technical agricultural trainings through the famer field school approach in the demonstration plots.
- Regularly follow-up the field activities with farmers and farmer associations and provide technical support and guidance to improve quality of the programmes
- Supervision of the rehabilitation of agricultural infrastructure through cash for work activities with support from the shelter/WASH staff.
- Supervise the activities of producer groups and facilitate market linkages
- Lead beneficiary targeting and verification process for various Agricultural activity streams
- Collect and document all the lesson learnt in urban agricultural technologies
- Working closely with MEAL staffs in conducting post-distribution monitoring and as well crop production monitoring
Our Ideal Candidate
- University degree in Agriculture science/ Agronomy or Agricultural engineering
- At least 2 years of previous experience working as a Project Officer implementing agricultural projects in a humanitarian/recovery context with INGO or private sector.
- Strong communication interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated results implementing and tracking field-based activities
- Contract period: 5 Months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty station: Anbar
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
NRC is an equal opportunity employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
- For full position details please click on Job Description
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.