Network Consultant - TECM
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Network Consultant based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the immediate agility required in conflict zones on the one hand and with the longer-term stability to cope natural disasters on the other. TEC Division continues implementation of the initiatives related to digital transformation journey in 2020 in line with the constantly growing demand from the business and the field operation.
Under direct supervision of the Team Leader for Network/Telco operation and the general supervision of the Head of Unit, the Consultant will be a critical team member supporting the HQ Local Area Network (LAN) and the WFP Wide Area Network (WAN). This role is located in the Service Management branch (TECM), which is involved in projects and programmes to modernize and optimize the infrastructure and the applications.
The incumbent will play a crucial role in visioning and delivering this vision for new network technologies optimize WAN technologies and improve IT security in the organisation. He/she will also play a key role in implementation of new network infrastructures and services in HQ including defining project requirements and its plan, as well as integrating different IP scenarios. Lastly, the consultant will also be responsible for ensuring that the WFP satellite and terrestrial providers can successfully deliver technical solutions related to new corporate initiatives into the organization’s network.
- Administer, implement and maintain WFP LAN/WAN infrastructure, including Wi-Fi and Firewalls.
- Work with the other units to seek better ways to optimise network infrastructure and performance over the WAN/LAN. Participate proactively in proof of concepts and roll out activities of approved projects.
- Collaborate closely with the IT security teams to provide high level network guidance and support for prevention and mitigation of threats and abuses on the WFP core network.
- Implement approved network security polices globally.
- Sustain corporate guidance, SOPS, standards, and roadmaps on LAN, WAN, satellite and wireless technologies, SD-WAN and WAN optimizations.
- Provide high level expertise on routing, VPN, QoS, integration of WFP WAN with external providers and other network-related policies.
- Periodically review QoS design and implementation to prioritize and improve the performance of WFP critical business applications.
- Consolidate, fine-tune and integrate traffic statistics of the WFP Corporate Network by using in house monitoring systems to better assess field capacity requirements, utilisation and metrics to aide decision making on network requirements and polices.
- Provide technical support in following: PBX integration into existing WFP voice infrastructure for field Offices; to Headquarters and field operations for audio/video and webcast services; second level support to the IT Service Desk and liaise with third party vendors to troubleshoot network issues.
- Any other duties as required
Qualifications & Experience Required
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- CISCO CCNP Certification required.
- Fortinet NSE 4 and 5 Certification required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional work experience, including significant experience in LAN/WAN field.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Network planning, implementation and debugging (LAN, WAN and datacentres).
- Advanced switching and routing based on various Cisco platforms (29xx, 39xx, Nexus,9xxx and others).
- VPN technologies (IPSEC, DMVPN, MPLS).
- Strong knowledge of information Systems Security (Cisco ASA, HP Tipping point. Sonicwall, Fortigate).
- Network access control (Cisco ISE).
- Wireless LAN technologies (Cisco, Ruckus, Proxim).
- WAN technologies (Cisco,Fortinet).
- Network Monitoring tool WhatsUp Gold,Orion SolarWinds, IP Monitor, Cisco Prime, Fluke VPM, NTop.
- VoIP – Mitel,Cisco Unified, Skype for Business, Polycom, Unified communication.
- SIP PABX.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively independently;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment;
- Keen attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/115441
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 17 February 2020
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide