Intern - Parliamentary Engagement
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Title\: Intern â Parliamentary Engagement 
Duty Station\: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Expected Entry on Duty\: Between 1 March to 15 April 2020
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENAâs mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 161 Members (160 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 22 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship is located in the Governance Support Office (GSO) within the Office of the Director-General (ODG). The intern will provide support to the work of the parliamentary engagement functions, particularly in the implementation of specific activities and initiatives taking place in 2020.
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of technical and organizational functions, including but not limited to\:
- developing, organising and maintaining the contact database of IRENAâs parliamentary network;
- researching and suggesting ways to keep the contact database updated considering the various electoral cycles in every IRENA Member State;
- assisting in preparing, and organising IRENAâs engagement meetings for parliamentarians, as well as in developing the agenda, background notes and relevant documents;
- carrying out research and compiling briefs in preparation of other parliamentary meetings that IRENA may participate;
- assisting in the drafting of targeted communication outputs for parliamentarians;
- contributing to the development of an efficient filing system;
- drafting formal correspondence;
- performing any other duties as required.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop an understanding of the IRENAâs parliamentary engagement strategy, develop skills relating to planning and organizing and logistics support and further develop research and analytical skills.
The internship is for a period of six months commencing on/about 1 March 2020 or as agreed with the intern/sponsor. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme.
- Candidates shall be advanced in their undergraduate studies or be enrolled in a Master's or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application. Recent graduates may also be included in the programme provided the start date of the internship is less than six months since their graduation.
- Preference will be given to those studying\: International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, Law, Sustainable Development and related fields.
- Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills.
- Competencies\: Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organizing, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
Interns of IRENA are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) at the IRENA premises in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
For those interns selected for a posting in Abu Dhabi, IRENA will assist with the visa clearance.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our employment page
Qualified candidates must apply for the abovementioned vacancy on-line, through IRENAâs recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest, including details of three professional references who will be contacted if their application is shortlisted.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates, especially from nationals of developing countries.