The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role: Assist the finance, Admin, HR, Supply Chain, program and grant management team in ensuring all operations are implemented within acceptable DRC and donor guidelines and be the focal point on compliance matters.
- Implement and maintain systems to ensure that all offices are following DRC financial, supply chain, HR, and administrative policies and accepted accounting principles
- Carry out quarterly internal reviews to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and followed. This includes but not limited to finance, supply chain, HR, administration, and programmatic SOPs and involves monthly financial and non-financial transactions/documents reviews and providing feedback to line managers for action
- While using the Compliance Self Checks (CSC), assist field and country offices in developing recommendations and action points to improve on gaps identified
- In liaison and support from Finance team, quality assurance and ensure that finance vouchers from field offices are scanned on time according to guidelines
- In liaison and support from the country HR and Admin coordinator, on monthly basis audit payroll and give quality assurance to HR documents i.e personnel files on a quarterly basis
- Carry out necessary training of support services and program staff to ensure that DRC and donor requirements are met
- Support conducting partner capacity assessments. Induct partner organizations in DRC and relevant donor requirements and monitor their performance against such. Conduct partner reviews
- Conduct regular partner internal financial review and propose recommendations for identified gaps.
- Lead on internal and external audits held in Area Offices, be the focal point for collecting documents from your area for Audits occurring in Country Office
- Submit monthly reports to Risk and Compliance Advisor and Area Manager to update on all compliance issues; assist in developing action plans
- Inform of compliance issues at grants opening and close out meetings for your area
- Be the Code of Conduct focal point for your area, this includes assisting HR with CoC trainings
- Keep a tracker of all CoC, Anti-fraud and Corruption, and compliance trainings for all staff in Area office to be shared monthly with CO Risk and Compliance Advisor.
Key Deliverables: (in bullet points)
- Monthly Compliance issues Monitoring reports
- Monthly training tracker
- Biannual Compliance Self Check for Field and Area Offices
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Risk and Compliance Advisor
- Project Managers; Support Services Manager, Finance team; HR team; Supply Chain team
- Strong Finance skills;
- Attention to detail
- University degree in relevant subject area;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach
Experience: (include years of experience)
- At least 2 years professional work experience in humanitarian organizations;
- Knowledge of major donor and DRC compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of the local context
- Experience in Finance & Human resource and logistics is an asset.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
Fluency in written and spoken English
Reporting to: Area Manager