Head of IT Development & Delivery
- Function title: Head of IT Development & Delivery
- Reference: NOC-NM-2020-AD/132
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations
- Grades for publication: AD9-10-11-12-13 (Head of Unit or equivalent)
- Type of post: Head of Unit or equivalent (AD9-AD13)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: NMD - Network Management Directorate
- Competition publication date: 05/02/2020
- Competition closing date: 18/03/2020 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Network Management Directorate, the Network Manager keeps the network operating as smoothly and efficiently as possible, working closely to support industry actors by providing services, functions, deliverables and training. The Network Manger delivers ATM performance for the pan-European network in the areas of safety, capacity, environment/flight efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
The Head of IT Development & Delivery shall be responsible to the Chief Technology Officer for ensuring the good execution of all IT projects (application & infrastructure projects). S/he will address area as programme/project management, software development and maintenance, and release management at corporate level. The Head of IT Development & Delivery will manage 100+ staff (outsourced staff included).
Your role will be to:
- manage IT projects (IT infrastructure, corporate applications and operational applications and systems) and ensure optimization and alignment to strategic objectives while ensuring service delivery and cost effectiveness;
- manage the project management methodology, the software development methodology and related tools;
- develop detailed implementation roadmaps;
- translate business requirements into technical requirements, changes and projects;
- manage releases of IT systems and applications;
- develop new software in line with quality, safety and IT security requirements and standards;
- develop and implement his/her domain’s strategy, objectives and work program; and manage its activities and resources (budget and personnel);
- improve service levels and cost efficiency;
- ensure technical staff is trained, certified and aware of latest technology developments.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain, e.g. Master’s degree in IT, Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering or in another related field;
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate;
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience including 5 years in management or strategic activities;
- Proficiency in delivering IT programmes and projects including application’s development activities and methodologies;
- Project management certification would be considered an advantage (i.e.: Project Management Professional (PMP));
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies;
- Strategic focus: develops business/service strategy in line with Agency’s strategy;
- Managing People: implements effective people management practices;
- Managing change: manages effectively the change process;
- Team work: maximises collaboration across different teams/services;
- Leading: demonstrates direction;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post thorough knowledge of one of the working languages of the Agency and satisfactory knowledge of the other language.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- This post entails management activities. Established staff members will therefore have to serve a probationary period of 9 months. This period may be shortened to 6 months if the successful candidate is appointed following a competition preceded by a previous temporary assignment to the post for which s/he was selected.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply.