Team Leader – Protection (Legal)
Team Leader – Protection (Legal)
Anbar - Fallujah
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
About the job
The legal team leader has overall responsibility for Legal Assistance services in Anbar governorate, including management of Legal Officers, in their area of operation. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Supervise Legal Officers including provision of technical guidance for best practice legal assistance
- Ensure that Legal Officers provide legal assistance services in compliance with best-practice and standards, including legal representation, civil documentation, consultations and awareness raising
- Maintain oversight of Legal Assistance program data and reporting to supervisor
- Ensure efficient coordination between the different DRC Protection sections and sectors, particularly between the case management team, community-based protection team, protection monitoring and capacity building team, and legal officers
- Facilitate the cases referred from other agencies (including CCI cases), allocate those cases among Legal Officers and provide feedback to referring agency; refer cases externally to legal partners working in areas out of DRC’s area of operation
- Ensure provision of feedback regarding actions taken to other agencies, when necessary and appropriate in light of confidentiality requirements
- Monitor staff working hours, complete performance review with staff, ensure respect of DRC Code of Conduct
- Train where necessary newly recruited Legal Officers on the data filing and storing procedures, DRC policies and processes. Ensure continuous on the job coaching and mentoring
- Manage recruitment of directly supervised positions (preparation of recruitment request, shortlisting, interviews, tests) in collaboration with the Protection Manager.
- Contribute to capacity building of local organizations and community groups on legal matters relevant for beneficiaries
- Remain up-to-date on legal procedure and policy developments, update guideline documents as needed;
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, contribute to the strengthening of the thematic area in DRC programming. Also identify legal assistance gaps with a view to generating ideas for future projects with strong impact
- Oversees spending, financial tracking and documentation of legal fees to support legal assistance activities
Grant implementation and reporting
- Produce monthly reports and support the Protection Manager in submitting internal reports as per schedule
- Bi-weekly monitoring of Legal Services data base and archiving with adherence to data protection protocols
- Monthly monitoring of confidential legal case files ensuring adherence to data protection protocols
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly work plans in a timely manner
- Support the implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools and report on issues in the implementation of the program
- Support the data analysis of legal services data in a safe and ethical manner
- Responsible for the creation and updating of monthly procurement plans for the Protection Legal Services team, submit to Protection Manager on a monthly basis
Coordination and representation
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with relevant stakeholders including partner agencies, community leaders and service providers
- Advocate for the needs of vulnerable individuals both internally and through coordination mechanisms through evidence-based advocacy
- Attend Legal Task Force, Legal Coordination and similar meetings as requested by supervisor
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as directed by the Protection Manager.
- Maintain positive work relationship within the team, and promote team-building efforts in coordination with the Protection manager
- Ensure respect of DRC Code of Conduct
- Participate in training and coaching as required by management
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- At least 5 years of experience in the legal sector
- At least 1 year of experience supervising staff
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Ability to provide technical support, trainings and supervision to Legal Officers
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, work independently and prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- University degree in law (Level C)
- Flexibility in working overtime when needed
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Willing to collaborate with and support people from different ethnic groups and different religions
- Demonstrated interest in humanitarian work and supporting people effected by conflict
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 Months
Start date: 1 March 2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
all applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications:20 February 2020
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.