Mental Health VISTA
Abilene (United States of America)
Requisition ID: req8156
Job Title: Mental Health VISTA
Employment Category: Volunteer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Abilene, TX USA
HEALTH VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) Full time, unpaid. Living stipend, education stipend and medical benefits available Job Overview/Summary: The Health VISTA will continue capacity building services of the organization in the area of Mental Health by implementing recommendations from year one, including training to clients and mental health providers in the community, as well as assess and build the capacity of healthcare providers in the community to serve immigrants. Major Responsibilities: Responsibilities include but are not limited to: • Provide logistical support to the Cultural Adjustment and Stress Management program offered through a partnership of the IRC and Abilene Christian University. • Outreach to Center for Survivors of Torture to explore possible training to local providers, and other partnership opportunities • Put together logistics for a local provider training • Attend the Abilene Mental Health Network meetings • Research funding opportunities for future programming (Both Mental Health Care and Medical Services access) • Assess barriers refugees & immigrants face in accessing health care in the communities • Explore strategies to mitigate barriers to health care • Research successful strategies to ensure immigrants access to healthcare in comparative markets and develop a strategic action plan. • Other duties as required.
· Minimum of two years of college required, ideally in Psychology, Social Work or an equivalent field of study; Undergraduate degree strongly preferred
· Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment
· Previous experience in working with youth preferred
· Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member
· Self- starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
· Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability in Swahili, French or one of the predominant languages of the local client base is desired.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
· Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance