OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMMETo ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State's health priorities, sustainable development agendas and harmonized with the United Nations country teams and partners to improve healthoutcomes and progress towards achieving Universal Health Coverage.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will be required to perform all or part of the following duties\:
1. Provide technical support and guidance to countries in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of national health financing policies, strategies, and systems.
2. Develop national strategies and policies through the provision of policy advice and guidance on improved plans of action for existing health systems and services for universal coverage in social health insurance and community insurance.
3. Research, compile and evaluate a variety of data and information related to health financing best practices and provide policymakers with information so that they can make decisions in regards to public health services and health financing.
4. Make proposals for improvements of existing national health statistics and national health accounting systems, especially in respect of their sustainability. 5. Serve as a technical resource to respective authorities concerning health economics and social health insurance in the country(ies); respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical advice concerning related principles, practices, issues, measures, techniques and procedures in the related areas.
6. Develop, implement and conduct a variety of community outreach activities concerning the importance of social health insurance systems.
7. Liaise and coordinate national counterparts, technical departments at HQ and with donor and development partners (UN and bilateral) to harmonize recommendations on policies and strategies related to health financing and resolve issues or concerns.
8. Develop and implement training/orientation programmes in the related areas for capacity building in Health Financing and Social Protection Programs.
EducationEssential\: Master's degree in Economics, public health or related area.
Essential\: At least seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in the area of economic analysis of health financing policy and formulation. Within this experience demonstrated professional experience should be at the international level.. Experience in assessing National Health Insurance systems.
Desirable\: Relevant experience in WHO, the UN System.
- In-depth knowledge of country situation with regard to health economics capacities with good understanding of social health insurance systems and relevant country's needs, priorities and policies, along with WHO's policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in the related areas and ability to apply them in the country office setting.
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to review and revise policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Team spirit and team leadership/management skills and time management skills.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Producing results
Use of Language SkillsEssential\: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable\: Intermediate knowledge of French or Arabic.
REMUNERATIONWHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 73,516 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 2794 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link\: http\://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile on Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible.)