Requisition ID: req8185
Job Title: IT Manager
Sector: Information Technology
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to the Deputy Director Operations, the IT Manager (ITM) will provide quality leadership and oversight of all IRC Uganda IT service functions, including assisting and facilitating the installation, configuration, staff training and operations support. A key aspect of this role is ensuring all technology implementations in-country conforms to the global IT policies and procedures hence working closely with the Regional IT Director is vital. Another key aspect of this role will be to establish an open channel to different working groups across the country program to ensure business needs are met and IT concerns are addressed in a timely fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Support - Provide Level 2 Support
- Work with end-users or IT colleagues (or Service Desk) on resolving Level 2 and 3 issues in CP
- Resolve or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues to appropriate internal or external resource (regional/international IT, management, and vendor) as necessary.
- Monitor and keep CP Service Now Support SLAs above 90%.
Installation & Configuration and Management of:
- Servers, Windows Server 2016 operating system, Domain and essential network services.
- Desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals, using IRC standard Windows 10 operating system image.
- Local Area Network, wireless network, peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
Maintenance, Repair & Security
- Monitor and manage preventative maintenance schedules on all IRC computers and network resources.
- Implement and manage backup solutions for office/individual users as per IRC IT recommendations and provide the necessary training on the use of these back-up solutions.
- Update appropriate network security and data loss prevention procedures to safeguard system from physical harm, viruses, unauthorized users and damage to data.
- Create and maintain network documentation to include but not limited to IP address, system access, email creation system, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Investigate local Internet connectivity options to obtain adequate bandwidth for Intranet and application connectivity with New York Headquarters. Advise the country office and regional office accordingly.
- Closely collaborate with International and HQ IT team on helpdesk, connectivity and other in country and global IRC IT projects.
- Any other IT related tasks assigned by the supervisor or Regional IT team to accomplish the overall organizational goals.
Training, Evaluation, & Testing
- Develop and implement regular user and support staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users.
- Test and evaluate new technology as required by Regional and HQ IT.
- Advise Field managers of the technology available to help accomplish their tasks and goals, and help them develop a technology implementation plan inclusive of system design and staff training.
- Prepare and submit regular weekly, monthly and trip reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels and future plans.
IT Asset Management
- Perform annual IT Audit for Uganda CP as directed by Regional/Global IT.
- Create and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
- Maintain an updated IT Asset Registry, including software & licenses.
Policies & Protocols
- Develop plan for repair of dysfunctional laptops, desktop computers, photocopiers, printers, etc.
- Develop appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all IRC computer related equipment.
- Identify through tender process, as per standard IRC policies and procedures, local supply chain for IRC IT requirements in Region.
- Develop local IT Policy for IRC Uganda in coordination with DDO and Regional IT support team
IT Staff Supervision and Development
- Provide technical supervision for IT staff in Ugnada Country Program by on-the-job support and coaching to promote harmonized program approaches and strategies.
- Creation of a country IT strategy plan to improve the IT state of the country program in line with Global IT strategy focused on SMART objectives measured every quarter.
- Train and Build the capacity of the IT Team members in Uganda Country program by providing the needed IT technical training & assistance, ensure timely delivery of IT project activities and resolution of IT issues.
- Participate in the annual budget planning and ensure allocation for the necessary IT investments to acquire the required infrastructure that corresponds to the business needs.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Deputy Director of Operations
Indirect Reporting: Regional ICT Director, Deputy Director of Programs – Cross Border
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: All departments and users
External: IT equipment and supplies vendors, internet service providers
Working Environment: Based in Kampala office, occasionally required to travel to field offices and joining regional conferences and workshops, if required.
- University Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical work experience.
- CCNA course desired, MCSE or equivalent experience is required.
- At least five years of experience in IT Management profession.
- Project Management qualification is an added advantage.
- Experience installing, configuring and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
- Able to work independently within a team environment.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross cultural context.
- Excellent presentation, verbal communication and report-writing skills with the ability to convey information effectively in English.
- Excellent project management skills
- Customer & client centered and service oriented mind & attitude, and ability to work independently under pressure.
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional patience.
- Strong diplomacy and collaboration skills in establishing positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
- Deadline for receiving applications is 24th February 2020.