Business Support Assistant G3 level - Innovation Accelerator
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Applicants must reside within commuting distance of the duty station Munich, Germany
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill an Innovation Services Lead position in our Innovation Accelerator (INKA), Innovation and Knowledge Management Division, based in Munich, Germany.
The WFP Innovation Accelerator has been named one of the top 10 most innovative companies 2017 by FastCompany for operating a real startup accelerator to disrupt global hunger at the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP).
It identifies, supports and scales high potential solutions to hunger worldwide - both WFP innovators and external start-ups with up to $100K cash (equity-free), hands-on support by our New Venture Consultants and access to WFP's global operations in developing countries in a 3-6 months sprint programme. The most promising innovations are supported in scaling further.
Based in Munich, Germany, we are currently a team of 48 innovators, with over 20 different nationalities and diverse background, e.g. as serial entrepreneurs, startup accelerator managers, management/HCD consultants, entrepreneurs-in-residence focused on building businesses or experts in developing country innovation. Lean start-up and human-centered design (HCD) approaches are at the core of everything we do.
We have built partnerships with leading innovation organisations such as Singularity University, XPRIZE or the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Several private sector partners and high-net-worth individuals support WFP in their work in disrupting global hunger, such as Google.
We support the next-level innovation for WFP’s operations, such as Building Blocks, using blockchain technology for e-wallets for people receiving cash-transfers; EMPACT, connecting refugees to online work after a 12-week training H2Grow (Hydroponics), helps refugees grow food in desert areas or camps; Farm to Market Alliance - an alliance between WFP and 7 private sector entities purchasing food from smallholder farmers and providing credit, and agricultural inputs as for-profit business model, or new startups that could help make a difference to end hunger.
As the Accelerator team, we support entrepreneurs (could be WFP innovators or external startups, NGOs, companies) to take their innovations to the next level – either getting ideas to the first proof of concept or already implemented solutions to the next scale-up. We either remote coach teams, work with them for a couple of weeks on the ground or even co-locate team members in the developing countries with the teams where the innovation’s user is also located for a 3-6 months period, helping drive the innovation/startup very much like a co-founder in a startup would.
- Title of Post: Innovation Accelerator Office Coordination - Business Support Assistant
- Unit: Innovation Accelerator (INKA)
- Country: Germany
- Duty Station: Munich
- Initial contract duration: 11 months
- Expected Start Date (ideally): 01 April 2020
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent’s, reporting to the Head of Business Development, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Support Office Coordination through handling of administrative and business support tasks for the office:
- Support smooth operation of the office including the office setup (rooms, furniture, office services, supplies)
- Drive administrative and business support tasks for smooth running of the office, such as procurement of items, services, identification of vendors, coordination of external vendors, etc.
- Support new and existing team members in local German registration and visa application processes, German language support in apartment search information, personal relocation-related requests.
- Work collaboratively with the whole business operations team in the Accelerator and continuously strive to improve operations.
Support Innovation Bootcamps/Events through handling of administrative and business support tasks :
- Support the administrative aspects of event planning, organization, procurement and logistics with relevant team members and external vendors
- Handle travel and visa arrangements and hotel bookings, as required
- Support Invitation and guest management
- Support setup of rooms and event spaces
- Preparation and distribution of relevant marketing materials and flyers to support event success.
- Maintenance of office files, documents, and records in accordance with established systems and processes so that information is current and readily available for staff.
- Execute any other task required by the Head of the Innovation Accelerator and Head of Business Development.
Required qualifications and experience
Completion of secondary school education
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Knowledge of standardised business support work routines and methods
- Knowledge of standard office software packages, e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Significant experience in office management/coordination in an international company/organisation
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information with a variety of individuals
- Good attention to detail in order to manage multiple tasks in parallel and support event planning and implementation
- Ability to work to deadlines and follow clear instructions
- Strong written and verbal business communication skills in German and English
- Experience in working in fast-paced and international environments
- Team player as well as ability to work independently and drive individual activities with your own initiative
- General Knowledge of UN system administrative policies, rules and regulations and procedures in the area of administration is a plus
● Fluency in oral and written German (level C2) and working knowledge (proficiency) in English required.
Applicants must be either German nationals or non-German nationals with a valid residence status to live and work in Germany
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org
Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Due to a large number of applicants, WFP will only revert back to applicants who have been shortlisted for interviews for the role. Only applications fully completed on the WFP career website will be considered.
VA Reference no: 116145
Closing Date: 10 March 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide