Public Relations (PR) and Outreach Assistant
Uzbekistan is globally and regionally important in terms of its biodiversity due to its location between the European, Middle Eastern, and Asian biogeographical regions. Its varying landscapes of high mountain ranges, wide steppes, deserts, riparian wetlands, and the Aral Sea has results in a wide diversity of habitats. UNDP, for many years, have supported the Government of Uzbekistan in tackling environmental challenges, including in the area of biodiversity.
UNDP/GEF and Republic of Uzbekistan project on “Sustainable natural resource use and forest management in key mountainous areas important for globally significant biodiversity” will further support the country in addressing biodiversity conservation challenges, specifically with focusing on mountain ecosystems such as the western-most outliers of the western Tian Shan (Chatkal, Pskem, Ugam and Kuramin ranges) and Pamir-Alai (Gissar, Turkestan and Zaravshan ranges), which are home to the endangered snow leopard, and provide important habitat for its key prey species.
The project objective is ‘To enhance the conservation, and sustainable use, of natural resources in the biodiverse high altitude mountain ecosystems of Uzbekistan’, and the project is structured into four components, with each component comprising a complementary suite of two to three outputs:
i) Component 1: Landscape level planning and management decision-making;
ii) Component 2: Strengthening key biodiversity areas;
iii) Component 3: Sustainable economic development incentives for communities;
iv) Component 4: Promoting cooperation and collaboration.
Under direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Public Relations and Outreach Assistant is expected to support the Project in the implementation of Communication and Visibility plan and assuring that all activities including the outreach and awareness-raising activities adhere to and are fully aligned with the visibility requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist project team in establishing and maintaining cooperative relationships with national partners, government agencies, international organizations, private sector, UN agencies and other development partners, to keep them informed on Project activities and encourage for active partnership;
- Supporting the Project in technical aspects of communication and visibility activities, including production of leaflets/infographics, reports and audio-visual products;
- Design, develop and implement PR annual workplan, as well as provide recommendations on new feasible solutions for increasing overall visibility of the Project activities;
- Design, develop and contribute to implementation of comprehensive communication strategy of the Project, in consultation with Project Manager;
- In consultation with Project Manager organizes various PR events including roundtable discussions, workshops, seminars and forums;
- Liaise with UNDP CO Communications Analyst to ensure regular and timely publicity of the Project activities and outputs in the UNDP web-site;
- Develop and submit to Project Manager recommendations on new feasible solutions for increasing overall visibility of the Project activities;
- Report to Project Manager on achieved results within PR and Outreach activities.
- Ensure wide coverage of the events in the media through involvement of representatives from print and broadcast mass media to these events;
- Prepare and publish news, upon consultation with the Project Manager, news, articles and press--releases on the Project activities and accomplishments for national/international printed and electronic media;
- Ensure that all publications and promo-materials are designed in line with UNDP guidelines;
- Ensure compliance of project promo- and communications materials and outputs with UNDP and GEF Branding Guidelines;
- Submit ten (10) success stories a year with photographs upon consultation with the Project team;
- Assist national partners (e.g. project main implementation partner) with developing a media strategy, enhancing websites and public outreach activities;
- Assist in media coverage of public events of the Project;
- Perform other duties related to the scope of work of the PR and Outreach Assistant as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP's mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Must be capable of combining efficient implementation of UNDP values on Democratic Governance, ensuring and facilitating the coordination and collaboration of diverse stakeholder groups and good team work with national and international consultants;
- Result-oriented to meet the needs of client;
- Excellent leadership, self-management, communications and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Computer literacy and ability to use modern technology and social media as a tool in every¬day work;
- Ability to share knowledge and experience;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to quick learning;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Responds positively to feedback and different viewpoints.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative and reasonable risk taking.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree obtained at recognized institution or other academic distinction related to public relations/journalism/economics/business administration/communications/language studies or related field.
Proven track of at least 2 years of work experience in the field of PR, outreach or mass media communication is required.
Previous experience in international development organizations and government agencies would be considered as a strong asset.
Proficiency in Russian, English and Uzbek.
- Prior experience of liaison with print and broadcast mass media is a distinct advantage;
- Excellent editing and presentation skills;
- Skills for using ICT and photo equipment as the tool and data source;
- Professional skills and experience using social media to support advocacy and visibility activities;
- Ability to express ideas clearly, initiative, ethics and honesty; ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines;
- Strong organizational and communication skills, ability to work in a team;
- Good understanding of public service delivery and overall public administration reform issues.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.